RA protesting ban on dorm Bible studies testifies to state legislators

U.S. Rep. Mark Green, R-Green Bay, joined UW-Eau Claire senior and resident assistant Lance Steiger at the state Capitol Tuesday to defend the right of UW System RAs to conduct Bible studies in university residence halls. 

In recent weeks, there has been a flurry of complaints from state lawmakers and a national group regarding the policy at some UW System schools that prohibits RAs from leading religious activities in dorms.  

At an informational hearing of the Assembly Committee on Colleges and Universities, Green said he has invested himself in this case because he believes situations like Steiger's contribute to the culture of distrust that exists between the public and the UW System. 

He said the higher education system in Wisconsin cannot afford to have 'Wisconsinites lose faith in those who are charged with guiding university policy,' he said. 'I'm afraid that's starting to happen.' 

The representatives at the hearing, including committee chair Robin Kreibich, R-Eau Claire, seemed sympathetic to Steiger's position, emphasizing that speech should not be censored based on its content. 

Kreibich listed various political and social events RA's engage in and said, 'It's amazing that all of those are OK, but if someone wants to fold their hands in prayer, that is denounced.'  

State Rep. Gregg Underheim, R-Oshkosh, stressed that universities should be venues where all ideas are given a forum. 

'If there is a Communist Party cell that wants to meet in the basement of a dorm, so be it,' he said. 

Steiger, for his part, seemed calm and collected while recounting his experiences dealing with UW-Eau Claire. He told the committee how he was clear about his religion when he was hired as an RA and about his surprise when he received a letter saying he could not hold Bible studies. 

'There's been talk of this as a long-standing policy, but I've never heard of it,' he said. 'I was obviously shocked that they were telling me and four other people that we couldn't have Bible study on our own time.'  

Steiger stressed he never approached his residents pitching the Bible study but rather only gathered with students who had expressed interest in the sessions. 

The current conflict between UW officials and state legislators adds to an already rocky relationship stemming from disagreements over personnel policies at UW-Madison and UW policy regarding felons.