Pavelski leads Badgers to the top

Sophomore forward Joe Pavelski has been providing much of Wisconsin's offensive punch during their 14-game unbeaten streak. Pavelski scored nine points (five goals) against cross-state rival Minnesota this past weekend. While the No. 1 Badgers (10-0-2 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 13-1-2 overall) may be better known for their defense and goaltending, the offense has come alive this year, scoring 3.2 goals per game and posting the second ranked offense in the conference. 

'[Pavelski's] a catalyst offensively for us, the more you watch him the more you appreciate the little things he does,' head coach Mike Eaves said. 'Just watch him on faceoffs, he's a student of the game; when he's lining up he's reading where people are and what hands people have, he's trying to find that opportunity to take advantage of.' 

'It's hard work, the preparation that goes into each and every game and the whole week-long process thinking about the game,' Pavelski said. 'My linemates too, Robbie Earl has been really good, [Adam] Burish has been working his butt off and has come through with some big goals.' 

The Plover, Wis. native was the leading scorer for the Badgers last season as a freshman and is on pace to do it once again. With 20 points on 10 goals and 10 assists, Pavelski has scored in 12 of Wisconsin's 16 games and has come up with clutch goal after clutch goal. His line comprised of junior Robbie Earl and senior Adam Burish have combined for more than one-third of the team's points, including seven of its 13 game-winning goals. 

'We're two players that mesh well with each other. If I'm not scoring, he's scoring, or if he's not scoring, I'm scoring,' Earl said. 'That's why we complement each other so well, we can both score, we can both dish the puck, that's pretty much why we have the same amount of points.' 

'We know how to show up, that's our line, our mentality: Be ready for every game,' Pavelski said. 

Pavelski has also been a scoring menace on special teams, taking of opportunities on both the power play and penalty kill. To complement his one shorthanded goal, he has five power play goals and scores on an amazing 27.8 percent of his power play shots. 

'He's one of those guys who gets there early and he's a pleasure to be around. He really loves the game,' Eaves said. 

Although Pavelski's line has been the cornerstone of the offense this season, the other lines have been chipping in when needed and have balanced the offense very well. Even if Pavelski and Co. are held scoreless as in Saturday's game against Minnesota, players like Ryan MacMurchy, Tom Gilbert, Jack Skille and others will step up their game. 

'Saturday showed our depth,' Pavelski said. 'The other guys on our team stepped up, we had a goal from Dowell right away early and that just set the tempo for the rest of the team.' 

'That's why we're so dangerous,' Earl said. 'The balance of our lines is ridiculous, [and] that's something that's going to bring us a long way.' 

The defense and goaltender aid the offense as well. With the wall that is junior Brian Elliott (who actually got into the offense with his first career assist on Friday) in goal and a defense that blocks approximately one-fourth of the shots opposing teams take, the offense is able to take many more chances and become more aggressive. 

'It's awesome. We've got a good defense, too, but when we do have a little mishap, Brian's there, he's been there all year,' Pavelski said. 

'I think [our line] is allowed to do a little more because we do have a great defense,' Earl said. 'If they do beat our defense they have to get past Elliott, so we've got two layers that can shut them down. It gives us an extra emphasis to do what we can.'