Favorite dining with a side of nostalgia

I am becoming the typical nostalgic senior who can't help but reminisce about all the good times that have gone down in the past four years'and no, this is not going to be a lame trip down memory lane. Rather, I have decided to compile a list of my favorite Madison foods and local restaurants that I will miss most when I graduate from this fine institution I so quickly called home, and just as quickly have to leave. 

It's fine if you have never read my column before because if you are going to take anything away from all my 'expert food wisdom,' it is to check out these eateries before you too become a pathetic, nostalgic senior who can't help but feel the college years go by too fast. 

So here it is folks: the greatest (and soon-to-be most-missed) foods that Madison has to offer. 

1. The Great Dane, 123 E. Doty St., is probably my favorite restaurant. It has a huge menu that includes appetizers, sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps and seafood. I am particularly fond of the nachos with portabella mushrooms that are not only large in size, but have generous amounts of toppings layered throughout the entire platter.  

The Dane Burger is also a classic and is topped with a blend of artichoke hearts, sour cream and scallions. You won't find this burger anywhere else! They also brew their own amazing beer, my favorite being the Black Earth Porter. It is extremely dark and smooth with a taste similar to Guinness, only 10 times better. 

2. Ian's Pizza, 319 N Frances St., is a place I just recently started loving. Their crazy combinations of pizza toppings like Philly Cheesesteak and Macaroni and Cheese make this place unique and unforgettable. My two favorite slices are the Chicken Penne Alfredo and the Chicken Cordon Bleu. I still have yet to try the Steak and Fries combo, which everyone raves about. My mission is to sample every slice before I graduate, which shouldn't be hard considering I eat lunch there probably more than I should. 

3. Nick's Restaurant, 226 State St., is a dive restaurant that can easily be overlooked when strolling down State Street. However, their food is exceptional and the place is never crowded. They have the best lemon rice soup I have ever tasted. The burgers are delicious, especially the mushroom swiss burger. Also, the grilled chicken sandwich is always done to perfection. There is really no other place like it. 

4. Come Back Inn, 508 E. Wilson St., serves really great breakfast food, which is sometimes hard to come by in Madison. More notably, they have the best French dip sandwich on the planet. It is topped with onions and mushrooms, smothered in cheese and served with au jus for dipping. Besides the food, the rustic atmosphere is something that can not be replicated anywhere. 

5. Gumby's, 2825 University Ave., has one of the best bar-time foods that all students know and love'Pokey sticks. It is more for reasons of sentimentality than any other that I will miss these greasy sticks of joy. Before coming to Madison, the term pokey sticks meant nothing to me. Once I leave Madison, I will re-enter a Pokey stick-less world a little older, wiser and forever a Badger.