8889 launches grand ’Music’

With a Brit-pop sensibility that hearkens back to the late '90s and channels Blur with a dash of Oasis, local Madison band 8889's first full length album My Music Plan shows a healthy disregard for all trends indie and moves decidedly into the genre of smooth guitar pop. 8889 clearly demonstrates potential and the possession of songcraft building blocks necessary to become lasting musicians.  

As can be expected from musicians just starting to navigate the volatile recording industry terrain, the album suffers from a lack of production. The most notable piece missing from their recordings is a bass line. Many song progressions between verse, chorus and bridge would have been anchored greatly by the addition of steadying bass guitar.  

At their King Club, 114 King St., album release show, 8889 demonstrated a strong talent at entertaining the club-going crowd with their smooth, harmonized tunes. Their songs very clearly had bass lines that were grounding and added depth to tunes that were heavily weighted with falsetto vocals and soprano guitar lines.  

The only other notable misstep on My Music Plan was to open with 'An Introduction.' The track definitely gets the album off to a painfully slow, sleepy start that is not at all representative of the rest of the album.  

But 8889 makes up for their mistakes with stunning abilities. Radio-friendly track 'Dandelions' is a well-constructed song with guitars that are very cleanly executed'especially its solo'and its vocal harmonizing has a pleasing light quality, that is at times perhaps a bit too nasally.  

The album's most complex song, and perhaps best written, is its last, 'The Exit Song.' If 'An Introduction' greatly disappoints as an intro, 'Exit Song' radiates for nearly seven minutes with clean guitars, well-sung vocals, and a dominating creative genius that closes the track with a cascade of piano, strings and a heightened sense of accomplishment.  

If 8889 built their sophomore efforts in the same vein as 'Exit Song,' they would very clearly be a musical force to be reckoned with in Madison and beyond. Perhaps at this point it is best to sit back and see where they develop. Talented, unique and smooth at what they do, 8889 still has much room for improvement.  

They need to work on an identifying sound and direct their songs to more targeted ends. They have built a solid understanding of harmonies and should explore these to greater depths, and the glimpses of piano and strings on My Music Plan are simply tantalizing and should be used more dominant in the future. Jason Teteak's vocals are mesmerizing when worked within the lower limits of his vocal range, but are stretched thin at points when he tries to reach for notes.  

Overall, 8889 produces a valiant first attempt with My Music Plan and their 'music plans' are even more impressive when viewed live.