Wis. a step closer to concealed weapons

A bill allowing Wisconsin citizens to carry concealed weapons is on the way to the Assembly after being passed by the Criminal Justice and Homeland Security Committee in a partisan vote Tuesday. 

Assembly Bill 763 would change current Wisconsin law by creating a licensing system permitting individuals to carry concealed weapons in their homes or businesses as well as most public places. The bill includes exceptions that would disallow guns in police stations, prisons, school administration buildings, certain areas in airports and kindergarten facilities. 

A substitute amendment was adopted, giving the Department of Justice extended authority over those carrying concealed weapons. Under the amendment, the DOJ would determine if an individual is disabled and therefore unable to possess a weapon. Firearms training would be provided by the state and emergency licenses would be granted to those holding a domestic abuse restraining order.  

Committee Democrats, including Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, introduced six additional amendments to the bill. 

'I don't support the bill, [but] these amendments are intended to improve the bill,' Black said. 

The amendments included provisions for those seeking licenses to provide all vehicle identification information as well as prohibiting concealed weapons in childcare centers or schools.  

'The bill now allows guns in childcare centers, and the amendment would be doing common sense by banning [them] from these places,' Black said. 

The committee proceeded to vote against passing the six additional amendments, and the bill went through committee with only the substitute amendment attached. 

A similar bill passed through Senate and Assembly last year, but was vetoed by Gov. Jim Doyle. The Senate overrode the veto, but the Assembly failed to override the veto by one vote 

State Rep. Scott Gunderson, R-Waterford, expressed optimism in the future of the bill. 

'[Hopefully] the governor will change his mind,' Gunderson said. 

According to Gunderson, the state Supreme Court advised the adoption of a concealed weapons bill, and the government should 'adhere to the guidance of the state Supreme Court.' 

The bill will now be debated and considered in full Assembly. 

'There's a chance that [the bill] could be up as early as tomorrow or as late as December,' Gunderson said.