Multicultural student group receives 2006 budget

The Multi Cultural Student Coalition, the student organization that consistently receives more funding than any other UW-Madison group, was allocated $376,696 Monday night to spend in 2006.  

The Student Services Finance Committee cut MCSC's budget from a proposed $442,830. Funding for student organizations comes from a portion of UW-Madison student tuition called segregated fees. 

SSFC members primarily cut funding for MCSC's proposed technology upgrade, its travel budget and its food budget. 

SSFC member and UW-Madison senior Rachelle Stone said MCSC had a technology upgrade last year and MCSC, like many other organizations, had proposed superfluous travel and food budgets. 

'A lot of the committee thinks that food is just a supplemental line item. Food is pretty much one of those things that is cut universally through all the budgets,' she said. 

Stone said MCSC leaders have not yet commented on whether they are satisfied with the funding decision. 

The Thursday SSFC agenda includes a funding determination for the UW Roman Catholic Foundation.