First-place finish at Great Lakes assures men NCAA bid

The Wisconsin men's and women's cross-country teams saw great success Saturday in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional in Bloomington, Ind. 

The men's team captured first place with 49 points and finished ahead of Notre Dame and Ohio State. With the win, the Wisconsin men will attend their 34th consecutive trip to the NCAA Championships. The event will take place in Terre Haute, Ind., Nov. 21. 

Four men on the Wisconsin team placed in the top 10. The top finisher was senior Bobby Lockhart (31:15.8) who placed sixth. The next finishers were juniors Chris Solinsky and Anthony Ford, both finishing with a time of 31:23.6 and placing eighth and ninth, respectively. To round out the top 10, senior Simon Bairu finished one-tenth of a second behind his teammates with a time of 31:23.7. Last year, Bairu finished third on the team and tenth overall, going on to win an NCAA Individual title. 

The women's team also fared well at the regional tournament. The Badgers finished with 142 points, placing behind Michigan and Notre Dame. The top Wisconsin finisher was junior Katrina Rundhaug who placed 12th with a time of 21:37.3. With that time, Rundhaug qualified for the national meet. The next finisher for Wisconsin was senior Maggie Grabow who had a time of 21:50.1 and placed 21st.  

As a team, the Wisconsin women are awaiting the announcement of the at-large bids. They are still one of 13 teams that have not yet received a bid to the national tournament.