Duerst, UW await Marquette

On Friday, the Wisconsin women's soccer team (13-8-2) will begin the NCAA tournament at Marquette (17-3-1), a home away from home. 

After an unexpected championship win at the Big Ten tournament, the Badgers received an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Wisconsin is on a seven game winning, and hopefully will continue with strong play in Milwaukee. 

The biggest challenge that the Badgers face is making the transition from a big, emotional win to starting from the beginning at the NCAA tournament. The Badgers are already overcoming this challenge by refocusing on this weekend's game.  

'We want to keep our momentum going, but at the same time we need to refocus and play like it's the beginning of a new season,' junior midfielder/forward Katy Lindenmuth said. 

The Badgers say they have a strong and confident mentality going into Friday's game. They also say they are aware, though, that they cannot be overconfident and disregard Marquette. 

'The Big Ten win was a confidence booster,' senior midfielder/forward Amy Vermeulen said. 'But we need to refocus and not look past Marquette.'  

It is important for the Badgers to maintain their level of confidence because it will definitely help them in Friday's game. To preserve their winning ways, the Badgers have to believe.  

'When you believe in each other and start having confidence and I think that the way we played in the Big Ten tournament is exactly who we are and what we are,' head coach Dean Duerst said. 

The Badgers are ready to show their excitement and use this momentum and confidence to play their best soccer. During practice this week, the focus will be to remain consistent. 

'When you play well,' Duerst said, 'you be consistent in your training and you can improve the ways in which you can play as a team.'  

The Badgers have been playing their best soccer and need to keep that level of play to advance to the second round of the tournament. If they were to advance, Wisconsin would face the winner of the Purdue/UW-Milwaukee game, both teams that they have beaten this season.  

Although the second-round draw seems favorable, Wisconsin is not looking that far ahead.  

'We're really just trying to take it one game at a time,' Lindenmuth said. 'We have a handful with Marquette, but it's definitely crossed our minds.'  

Using the momentum that they have going into this week, Coach Duerst could not have said it any better.  

'It's an exciting time to be playing our best soccer.'