Cold War launches comedy in ’Woods’

Winter has come to Wisconsin, but it has yet to arrive on a certain park bench on the outskirts of Geneva, Switzerland. This is the setting for the Madison Repertory Theatre's production of 'A Walk in the Woods,' a wooden bench, two rocks, grass and a background of what one character refers to as 'neutral trees.' The play, written by Lee Blessing during the 1980s, concerns arms negotiations between Russia and America during the Cold War.  

With the break up of the Soviet Union in 1991, it is arguable that much of the politics of this piece have become dated''mutual assured destruction' is not quite the boogeyman it once was. This is not really a concern for a 'Walk in the Woods,' as it is not a play about politics; it is a play about the interaction of two human beings, who just happen to be arms negotiators on different sides of the table.  

The American negotiator is John Honeyman, aptly played by John Mossman. He has a gray suit, a stiff collar, a well-shellacked side part and a rigidity that seems to encompass his entire body as if his suit were made of lead. He plays the straight man with a productive, efficient and humorless nature. This makes for a nice contrast when compared to the Russian negotiator, Andrey Botvinnick (strongly accented and tenderly played by Richard Henzel), an old cynic with a disregard for formality and a craving for human compassion.  

'A Walk in the Woods' consists of two acts made up of four scenes ('walks') which stretch over roughly a year of time, with each scene occurring in a different season. This format allows for movement to happen in the arms negotiations, but it is generally movement without progress.  

The real interest to the audience is not the standstill in the arms negotiations, which contrasts with the development of Honeyman and Botvinnick's friendship. As different as these two men are with their lima bean and jalape??o personalities, their discussions of humanity always bring the laughter. 

This is what is so odd about 'A Walk in the Woods''it can deal with serious topics that have catastrophic consequences and still be alarmingly, refreshingly funny. Henzel and Mossman, through some incredible timing and with precise chemistry, make their characters as funny as a sitcom. There is something extremely satisfying about how Botvinnick dances around the pole-stiff Honeyman.  

The first half of the play reads like any good comedy duo, John and Andrey'America and Russia'are like Laurel and Hardy, but with access to CIA and KGB intelligence. The second act brings a darker tone, yet the humor remains. Things turn darker, as the protagonists realize that although they have agreed not to destroy one another, it may very well be impossible to get their superpowers to do the same thing. 

'A Walk in the Woods' is a thought-provoking and entertaining production. Not only is the play humorous, but it teaches valuable philosophical and political lessons.