Coffee house hide-a-ways off the beaten path

I assume I speak for the majority of students when I say November is the month from hell. Between exams, papers and semester projects, one can't help but think that the only viable option to deal with the stress is to bang one's head against the wall'repeatedly.  

Yet with the right environment, studying doesn't have to be such an agonizing nightmare. 

I know many people prefer working at coffee houses as opposed to the library because it may seem like a somewhat less oppressive atmosphere. But even the abundance of coffee shops that State Street has to offer can get exhaustive after a while.  

However, there a few awesome places off the beaten path that are not as heavily populated as the downtown coffee shops that can offer some motivation for studying. 

Dancing Ground Coffee is a cozy coffee house off of Regent Street, 11 North Allen St., situated on the first floor of an actual house. The atmosphere is warm and inviting, and the comfy oversized chairs by the front window are perfect for sinking into with book in hand.  

Additionally, the owner's family pictures on the wall make you feel like you are right at home. The friendly service and the outstanding coffee make this place a real treat. 

Another great study haven is a place called ZuZu Caf??, 1336 Drake St., located directly across from Henry Vilas Zoo. Between the brightly painted orange, purple and teal walls and the extensive coffee, sandwich and bakery menu, your spirits are bound to be raised'at least a little.  

One of my favorite things to order is the mocha with a mint flavor shot and whipped cream on top. However, if you are not a sweet lover I would definitely try something like their latt?? that is also exceptional. 

The tables are big and not cramped together, making an environment conducive to studying. 

However, doing work here on the weekends would probably not be your best bet if you are looking for some peace and quiet. Families and children frequent the place often, and some Saturday nights live bands play. 

Lastly, Barriques Coffee Trader, 127 W. Washington Ave., is a recent addition to the Bassett Neighborhood that is somewhat unique in the realm of coffee shops. The atmosphere is rustic yet modern, with two levels of seating. One can't help but notice the large red and green striped chairs that look like pieces of furniture straight out of a Dr. Seuss book. I have yet to sit in one because every time I study here, they are always taken. 

Also, the coffee itself is tasty. I have tried the blended coffee drinks, which are thick in texture and have a pretty strong coffee flavor, but very delicious.  

However, the funky music selection which includes songs like 'She's a Brick House' by the Commodores and Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' may not always be ideal for studying. I guess it just depends on the mood you're in. 

If any of these places sound at all appealing to you, I encourage you to check them out during this hellish month. There is nothing worse than cold weather and endless amounts of homework on your plate. 

So get out of the house (or the library) and grab a cup of java to melt away those studying blues.