Church Key will finish renovations, unlock its doors

After months of construction aiming to more than double its capacity, Church Key Bar, 626 University Ave., will open in mid-December, according to an employee close to the project. 

Ald. Austin King, District 8, said the majority of his constituents are excited about the expansion, which will boast a capacity of approximately 180'nearly 100 more than before. 

In addition to the second floor bar, the first floor'which originally housed a convenience store'will open as a 'big new bar,' King said. 'They're even going to have food.' 

Also new to the building is an 'architectural spine,' which will run between Church Key and the neighboring building for handicap accessibility, King said.  

'That's really exciting because in a lot of old buildings, people with wheel chairs can't get in,' he said. 

Despite a positive response from many Madison residents, the expansion has been met with some anxiety. 

'There were some concerns from older folks downtown that this was just going to add more alcohol,' King said. 

Madison Police Department Public Information Officer Mike Hanson said the Madison Police Department is prepared for the expansion.  

'We're acutely aware of the problems associated with alcohol, so it is another bar that we will check as we do our other bar checks throughout the downtown area,' he said. 

Though the police do not assign forces to specific bars, they are 'mindful of large events and large bar crowds,' Hanson said. 

Dennis O'Loughlin, a former member of Madison's Alcohol and Other Drugs Policy Committee, said the expansion should not be a problem as long as there is responsible management.  

'I don't care if they have 800 people in there,' O'Loughlin said. 'It's just a matter of providing adequate security, observation, discrimination as to not serving people who are obviously drunk.'  

The goal is to provide a 'safe place to provide a drink and socialize with friends,' O'Loughlin added. 

Mark Howe, a UW-Madison senior, frequented Church Key before the closing. 'It was kind of a Thursday night tradition for us,' he said. 'It used to be one of our favorite hangouts and we've been missing it.' 

Howe said the renovation should reduce the weekend crowds that often grew unbearable. 

Patrons need not wait much longer to enjoy a less crowded Church Key. The manager was originally planning to reopen the bar Dec. 7 but may need about one more week for finishing touches, according to the employee. 

'Church Key has been very responsible for a long time,' King said. 'And it's been around forever.'