Wisconsin bills could limit access to abortions

Both anti-abortion and abortion-rights groups responded strongly last week after the Wisconsin Senate Judiciary Committee passed three abortion-related bills. 

Senate Bill 97 would require minors to obtain a judicial waiver or consent from either a parent or physician in order to have an abortion. The bill would not allow other adults, such as foster parents or psychiatrists, to give consent. Clergy would not be eligible to appear in court in place of the minor to receive a judicial waiver.  

Senate Bill 71 would deny individuals compensation in a \wrongful birth"" or ""wrongful life"" lawsuit against health care providers. Currently, if a doctor fails to inform a pregnant woman that the child she is carrying has birth defects or other conditions that may result in disabilities, the mother has grounds to sue. This bill would ban such lawsuits. 

Wisconsin law currently denies federal or state funding to organizations that ""promote, encourage or counsel in favor of abortion services."" Senate Bill 72 would extend restrictions on government funding of organizations that may be affiliated with abortion-related activities. 

In a statement released Wednesday, Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin referred to the ""anti-health care"" bills as being economically detrimental. 

""If these bills are passed, Wisconsin women and teens won't be the only ones to pay the price,"" according to a statement. 

State Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said Planned Parenthood's statement was ""less than honest."" He said Senate Bill 72 is very simple in its aims. 

""[The bill] takes away tax-payer dollars from those entities that perform abortions,"" Suder said. 

Wisconsin Right to Life also responded to the bills Thursday, stating its approval of the movement of the bills from committee to Senate.  

""Wisconsin Right to Life is pleased that these important issues, which impact the sanctity of human life, are moving through the state legislature,"" said Susan Armacost, Legislative Director of Wisconsin Right to Life. 

State Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, and state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, objected to the bills and lack of faith in the bills' passage. 

""All three bills restrict the ability of people in our state, especially women, to obtain health care,"" Black said. 

Risser also said the bills lacked integrity, and defined them as ""bad"" and ""anti-women.""  

He also said the bills went ""way too far,"" but expressed optimism that they would be vetoed. 

""Thankfully we have a governor who says he'll veto them if they get to his desk,"" Risser said.