Men’s tennis heads to Ann Arbor for ITA tournament

The Badgers are gearing up for the ITA Regional Championships in Ann Arbor, Mich., a tournament which starts today and runs until Oct. 25. The Badgers will battle schools from across the Big Ten and the rest of the Midwest with hopes of advancing to the National Championships. Fifty-six singles players have already earned a spot in the main draw bracket of 64 which begins Saturday. Starting today, the other 64 qualifiers will compete for the remaining eight spots in the main draw bracket.  

The same system is set up for doubles teams. The ITA Regional in Ann Arbor is one of 17 different regional tournaments taking place across the country. Only the strongest will survive and move on to the National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships in Columbus, Ohio Nov. 3-6.  

Judging from their performance last weekend, the Badgers are more than ready for the stiff competition of the ITA Regional. The Badgers defended their home court at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium last weekend by tallying an impressive 27-9 record in singles play.  

On a team with only two seniors, the Badgers young guns took center stage. Sophomore Jeremy Sonkin posted four singles victories, the final three coming in straight sets. Sonkin, who is currently ranked No. 80 in the country, also contributed to five of the Badgers' 13 doubles victories.  

Perhaps the most pivotal moment of the tournament came Sunday when the Badgers won six out of their seven singles matches against the Iowa Hawkeyes.