Keys to the '05-'06 season

Defense must mature quickly 

For the Badgers to contend for a championship this season, the defense must grow up fast. Junior goaltender Brian Elliot has proven that he can easily fill the gap left by graduated All-Amercan Bern Br??ckler. The only question mark is whether he will have the durability to persevere through the entire grueling system. On the blue line the Badgers feature five sophomore defensemen and only three upperclassmen. The sophomores will see a huge among of playing time. This unit has the ability to be among the elite in the nation, but their inexperience makes it anything but a sure bet. 

Minnesota and Phil Kessel 

Last season the Badgers tied with arch rival Minnesota for third place in the WCHA with 35 points. Throughout the history of this storied rivalry Wisconsin has been consistently unable to beat the Gophers in Minnesota. Adding fuel to the fire of this annual battle for northwoods supremacy is the young Phil Kessel. For several years the Wisconsinite has been regarded as the top recruit in his age class. His decision to attend Minnesota gives the series a personal bitterness. Oddly enough, the road to Milwaukee goes through Minnesota this year. 

Finish down the stretch 

Year in and year out the Badgers climb to the top of the polls early in the regular season. The team consistently dominates during autumn and early winter. Hockey fans are prone to get their hopes up for a championship that has evaded the team since the glorious heyday of former coach Jeff Sauer. The 1989-90 season would see the Badgers emerge as national champs; only two years later they would finish second overall. In the 15-year drought since, their have been several teams which have achieved a number one ranking, only to crumble in the new year. For the Badgers to win big, they must be successful in January.