Sunday, June 02, 2024

Food Connoisseurs: Eric Roang

When most of us are wrapping up our spring semester, one local business owner is just starting his. Eric Roang, owner of The Fruit Stand located on Library Mall, hates to see everyone head for the hills come mid-May. Roang understands the ebb and flow of campus life, so when August comes, he welcomes students back with a bounty of fruits and dry goods. Roang keeps the stand open as long into the fall as weather allows. He said, \The Fruit Stand belongs to the public, and I am just the caretaker of it.""  

Taking care of this stand is no easy job. Eric wakes up at 4 a.m. to load his produce, sells fruit throughout the day and then re-packs everything to take home at night.  

The loyal clientele of The Fruit Stand are clear indication that Roang is reaping the fruits of his labor. Returning customers not only know Roang, but the quality of the goods he sells. It is hard to pass the stand without stopping for one of the 16 apple varieties on display or maybe grabbing a mango. The stand supports local growers whenever possible, but some of the more exotic goods travel from across the world. Eric hopes to ""give everyone, from foreign students to Wisconsinites, a taste of home.""