Cultivating cooking interest in youth

Some college students struggle with preparing Easy Mac, let alone paella, but the kids who attend classes at The Young Gourmet Culinary Studios in Middleton have the opportunity to learn the finer points of cooking, from testing an egg's quality to preparing global foods like gnocchi. 

Owner Jan Sather decided to begin The Young Gourmet Culinary Studio after her daughter expressed interest in learning more about cooking. When Sather could not find a similar opportunity for her daughter, she chose to open a culinary school for kids eight and older. 

A four-week program starting Oct. 24 will slowly build up the children's culinary skills. In each class, students will learn elementary cooking principles-the origin of foods, basic nutrition and how to use utensils like knives. Eventually, students will learn a laundry list of procedures, from baking and stewing to simmering and poaching. The chefs also hope to \expand their knowledge of flavors and history,"" executive chef Rex Smith said. 

The three chefs; Smith, Toby Kanter and Tom Baertschy, along with additional guest instructors for specific lessons, are there to answer questions and offer guidance so the students perform all the skills necessary to prepare a dish. Each class will have only eight to 10 students to maximize the learning potential and to group together similar skill levels. 

Future young gourmets had the opportunity to watch and participate in demonstrations at the open house last Saturday. Professional chefs assisted four children volunteers in making the ""most fun food"" with uncommon ingredients. One group breaded and fried calamari, while the other created pizza with chicken and salsa as well as quesadillas with cheese, sausage and cilantro. 

Ten-year-old Dominic Egizi was eager to help prepare the unconventional pizza and quesadillas in the demonstration because he has enjoyed cooking since he was seven. He aspires to be an Italian pastry chef, but in the meantime would like to enroll in Pasta Perfecto, where students learn to make pastas from scratch. 

Some future young gourmets like Rebecca Cray, 12, enjoy cooking but have limited experience that consists of making cookies or pancakes with parents.  

""I thought it'd be cool to make real dishes instead of baking my own little things,"" Cray said, who would especially like to learn how to make spaghetti and meatballs, among other dishes. 

Some students, like Julia Carey, 11, became hooked on the Food Network and want the chance to expand on their love for cooking. Others, like Ashley Hill, nine, are contemplating future careers as chefs. 

In January, more advanced and specialized 10-week courses will begin. The students will be placed in classes based on their abilities, allowing for each class to be on an even level. Children under the age of eight who want to join the fun can participate in Mommy (or Daddy) and Me. 

The culinary studio chefs hope the cooking lessons will translate into everyday skills the young gourmets can utilize anytime.  

""Culinary arts stay with you the rest of your life,"" Baertschy said. ""The sooner you start, the better off you are."" 

Additional information can be found at www.theyounggourmet.com.