UW ranks ninth in survey of fittest colleges in America

In stark contrast to another, less-prestigious, high rank study this fall, UW-Madison placed ninth this September in Men's Fitness Magazine's list of the 20 fittest colleges in America. 

Beginning in April, The Princeton Review compiled data for the survey from 10,000 students at over 660 colleges and universities, according to Men's Fitness Associate Editor Nate Millado.  

The study rated different aspects including exercise, student bodies and cultural fitness. 

\You guys aced the 'exercise' GPA,"" Millado said. ""We took into account how much vigorous and leisurely physical activity you reported participating in each week."" 

UW-Madison freshman Whitney Hagstrom, who works out every day, was not surprised the university ranked so high.  

""It's always busy up here,"" Hagstrom said while working out on the elliptical trainer at the SERF, ""and people are always running around the campus."" 

However, the campus scored significantly lower in cultural fitness, which measured how well the university promoted physical activity.  

Hagstrom said she there is not much advertising or promotion for the fitness facilities or classes, but was impressed with the fitness options offered at UW-Madison.  

""When I look at other campuses ... their fitness room is like one-fourth the size of one of our levels,"" Hagstrom said.  

Tim Hacker, director of the cardiovascular research lab, said more promotion of the fitness availabilities would not hurt, but believes the campus encourages students to work out. 

Hacker said the university offers one- or two-credit martial arts, cross training and running classes, which all fill up fast and have waiting lists. The intramural program is also very popular and encourages students to stay active, he said.  

""I think any time you have people that have a higher IQ or are more motivated to get into a school like this, they are likely to carry [that motivation] over to other areas of their life,"" Hacker said. ""The higher your socio-economic status is, the more likely you are to stay active and stay fit.""  

The top three fittest colleges in America were Brigham Young University, University of Southern Califonia-Santa Barbara and Boston University. Among the 20 least-fit colleges are University of Lousiana-Lafayette and University of New Orleans.  

According to Millado, Men's Fitness conducted the study because many of their readers are students, and college is a time where students develop lifelong health habits.