Student government gets early start on Mifflin date proposal

The school year has just begun, but the Associated Students of Madison have already proposed to change the date of the Mifflin Street Block Party. 

Again, the traditional block party falls on May 6-the official final exam study date-and ASM requests that it be changed to April 29. 

\We just told the city and the administration that this is the date we want to have it on,"" ASM Chair Eric Varney said. 

ASM is petitioning early so the dilemma that happened last year will not happen again. 

""The biggest issue with last year was the time issue and we had so many plans already in place,"" Captain Mary Schauf of the Madison Police Department said. 

The police contracts were set up for April 29 last year and to reschedule everything at the last minute was a major problem. 

While nothing has been approved as of now, the petition has been sent out to officials. 

""It was mailed to representatives on Bascom Hill and the mayor's office,"" Varney said. 

While certain officials already have received the resolution, the MPD have yet to hear about it and decide.  

Mike Hanson, spokesperson for MPD said, ""We'd have to look at what the proposal is and what our contract states with the police union.""  

By recognizing the problem and starting early, Captain Schauf says she believes the process of changing the official date will be a lot smoother than the previous year. 

""If the students are talking now about when they want to have this party, it is a lot more likely that it will go when they want to have it,"" she said.  

ASM hopes this will deter the problems that arose last year and will make the block party as successful as it has been in the past. 

""If you give us enough time to adjust and to make plans, it's so much more beneficial. That's why I'm grateful to hear it now,"" Schauf said.