Student government chair condones drinking in speech

Eric Varney, chair of Associated Students of Madison, stirred controversy with his endorsement of drinking in front of incoming freshmen at the chancellor's convocation Thursday, Sept. 1.  

In his speech, Varney extended a warm welcome to freshmen and spoke about a wide variety of issues to help students make the best of their college years.  

\Make wise and important decisions, have a great year and have lots of fun,"" is how Varney summed up his speech. 

During the five minutes Varney spoke, he most notably addressed the topic of drinking.  

""I said that as long as they decided to make wise decisions ... and ensure their own safety and the safety of others, I said I don't care if they choose to drink,"" Varney said.  

Varney said it was important for him to address this matter honestly with the freshmen, and he received only positive feedback. He said UW-Madison administrators were pleased he was so upfront with the students.  

Lori Berquam, interim dean of students, also spoke at the convocation and addressed drinking. 

""The stance we take here in the Dean of Students Office is that it's basically illegal and that students will be held accountable for their behavior,"" Berquam said. 

""Holding students accountable is a good way to create solid citizenship for the future,"" she added.  

She said that her comments were not specifically in response to Varney's speech, but were written ahead of time for the occasion. 

""Eric represented ASM and he represented himself,"" she said. ""He really tried to reflect what his observations were and what he valued."" 

Berquam felt that Varney did not intend to represent the university as a whole. 

Berquam said it was Eric's prerogative to address issues of alcohol since no one edits his speeches. During the convocation, however, Chancellor John Wiley was quick to follow up with the kinds of dangers and consequences associated with drinking. 

Varney said he felt he gave the chancellor this opportunity to address the dangers of alcohol, and was glad Wiley spoke of them. 

""There are problems with drinking, and I don't want to see anyone fall victim to those,"" Varney said.