SSFC member quits, calls student fee distribution a 'sham'

Student Services Finance Committee member and UW-Madison senior Brad Vogel resigned Monday night, citing his disgust with the current allocation of segregated fees as his primary reason for leaving. 

\I think the SSFC needs to reduce student group dependence on segregated fees,"" Vogel told The Daily Cardinal. ""But I think until the fee structure is changed, it needs to be equitable to the different groups coming before it."" 

He said in a statement before the committee, that allocating funds to student organizations based on groups' viewpoints is wrong, preventing student representatives from speaking-and voting-on behalf of their constituents to make fiscal decisions. 

SSFC member and UW-Madison junior Zach Frey said Vogel wished the organization would delegate student segregated fees based on a standard criteria, not personal opinions. The desire for complete neutrality is unrealistic, Frey added. 

""The concept of viewpoint neutrality often touted in SSFC and also employed by the Supreme Court that upheld the current system, is a sham. Viewpoint neutrality is a sham."" Vogel told The Daily Cardinal.  

""Viewpoint neutrality is something that looks nice on paper and in theory but in practice really just keeps people doing an elaborate dance."" 

Frey said he was not shocked by Vogel's decision because Vogel ""thinks there are a lot of problems."" 

""[Viewpoint neutrality] forces [SSFC] to make funding decisions that serve a minority of students on this campus,"" Frey said. 

Vogel's replacement will be elected at the Associated Students of Madison elections next month.