News Briefs

UW-Madison 

After congestion problems at the Sept. 3 and 10 home games, the UW Athletic Department decided to make it easier for fans to fill Camp Randall.  

The construction will cost between $30,000 and $50,000 and consists of five minor upgrades, most having to do with controlling the movement of fans in the stadium. New concrete walkways throughout the stadium will make for a smoother flow of pedestrian traffic in and around the stadium.  

The changes will affect sections A, B, G, H, I and J and the Athletic Department will notify ticket holders in those sections via e-mail. 

The minor renovations had to be approved by the Department of Facilities, Planning and Management. Work began Monday, with plans to make changes before this Saturday.  

Seoul, South Korea  

Less than 24 hours after diplomats announced a breakthrough pact to eliminate nuclear arms in North Korea, the isolated communist state threw cold water on the deal Tuesday, saying it would not abandon its weapons program until the United States gives it a light-water nuclear reactor. 

North Korea's demand could be a deal breaker. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill, the chief U.S. negotiator at the nuclear talks, made it clear at the opening of negotiations in Beijing last week that the idea of providing North Korea with a reactor before disarmament would be a

onstarter.' 

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack made a terse statement Monday, telling reporters in New York, ""[The North Korean demand] is not the agreement that they signed, and we'll give them some time to reflect.' 

Baghdad, Iraq 

Nine Americans were killed in insurgent attacks across Iraq, military and diplomatic sources said Tuesday. The dead included an embassy official and three security contractors killed Monday morning in a suicide car bombing in the city of Mosul. 

Witnesses said a lone driver smashed his red sedan into the second vehicle in a convoy of three SUVs, triggering a fiery explosion. Security forces immediately cordoned the area and administered first aid, but the contractors and an assistant regional security officer, Stephen Eric Sullivan, died instantly, according to a U.S. official in Baghdad who spoke on the condition that he not be named.