iPods may contribute to hearing loss, UW scientists say

It is a common sight to see students walking to class with iPod ear buds jammed into their ears and possibly damaging their hearing with each step they take. 

Studies have questioned whether iPods increase the risk of hearing loss localized in the inner ear, referred to as sensory neural hearing loss, said UW-Madison professor of audiology Michael Chial. This loss is dangerous because it is permanent and insidious, he said.  

\iPods haven't been around long enough to have scientific studies that show the damage,"" UW-Madison Psychology professor Keith Kluender said, ""but there's little reason to doubt that there is damage caused by long term exposure to high volumes of noise."" 

The main risk associated with personal entertainment devices, such as the iPod, is the volume listeners use since there are no restrictions as to how loud manufacturers can design them,"" Chial said. 

""Part of the risk in terms of amplitude of sound depends on the environment in which they're used,"" Chial said, ""The natural tendency is to turn up the volume on the device to hear what they want to hear and drown out what they don't want to hear.""  

UW-Madison junior Stephanie Schmale said she listens to her iPod every time she walks to class. Although she claimed she doesn't raise the volume to drown out noises on the busy streets, more often than not, when she enters a building and takes out her earphones, she is shocked at how loud she actually has the volume turned up. 

""The beginning of noise-induced hearing loss is starting at younger ages than was the case 40 years ago ... due to the exposure to loud sound,"" Chial said. ""It might be music, it might be other things."" 

To prevent this trend, Chial said students should learn something about their listening style. They should consider using their iPods in a quieter environment so they will not need to turn the music up as loud, he said.  

Chial suggests an experiment for students to determine if they are listening to their music at excessive levels and at a risk of hearing damage.  

After listening to an iPod, a listener should turn it off without adjusting the volume and eight hours later, turn the music back on and if it is too loud, the music is at a dangerous intensity. A temporary threshold shift has occurred, which is where ears experience auditory fatigue. After a few hours, they return to a normal sensitivity. This is a warning sign of permanent threshold shift. 

For protection against loud sounds, Chial said students should simply limit their exposure to unnecessary intense noises and wear earplugs while attending concerts. 

Michelle Quinn, a clinical instructor at the University Speech and Hearing Clinic, said she strongly encourages any students, faculty or staff to call 262-3951 for a free screening at the clinic.