Daniels turning heads in senior year

One would think that when a fourth-string, walk-on running back who has never played a down as a Badger (Dywon Rowan) scores a touchdown in his first game on only his second carry, he would be the feel-good story du jour for writers to fawn over. In a 65-0 rout, a player would have to do something ridiculous-like score three touchdowns from an unlikely and traditionally unsung position without even playing in the second half-to steal the spotlight. Senior tight end Owen Daniels must have really wanted his name in the paper. 

Truth is, that last sentence couldn't have been further from the truth. Daniels has to be the most unassuming guy to score three touchdowns in a half since Barry Sanders. He doesn't ask for the attention, and last Saturday it didn't look like Temple paid him any. His first two scores were on identical short hitches that the Owls simply couldn't stop-either time. 

\We thought it was a pretty good play for the situation with the coverage we were anticipating and it worked out pretty well,"" co-offensive coordinator and tight ends coach Paul Chryst said. 

Daniels finished the day with a career high in catches (6), touchdowns (3) and yards (88). His production was not just a result of poor Division III-esque defense, but rather a new emphasis on the tight end position in the offense. It certainly doesn't hurt that former Badger tight end Chryst-who has an extensive knowledge of the position and perhaps some sympathy for their lack of involvement in the past-now calls the plays. 

""The tight ends as a group have a lot working for us,"" said Daniels with a smile. 

This comes as a surprise to no one. The Badgers knew what they were getting when they brought Chryst back to Madison after a stint as offensive coordinator for Oregon State, where he enjoyed tremendous success. 

""He had a lot of success at Oregon State-they had a great offense and they would spread the ball a lot,"" Daniels said. And perhaps best of all, ""the tight ends had a lot of catches."" 

Daniels came to Wisconsin as a quarterback but made the switch to tight end, putting on 35 pounds in the process and becoming one of the biggest contributors on offense. The hardest part about his transition was becoming an effective blocker. He always had great hands, but teams knew that if he was in the game, the Badgers weren't likely to run. Now he is doing it all: improving as a blocker and selling the run so that he can open up the field if the play goes to the air. 

""He has worked hard so that he can become an every-down tight end and he needs to be that,"" Chryst said. ""He's gotten better and hopefully he will continue to improve.""  

Daniels' coming out party was last year's game against Arizona during a torrential downpour in which he made two crucial catches to secure the win. This weekend in North Carolina, there is a possible tropical storm brewing which may be bad news for just about everyone but Daniels. It seems as if the atmospheric and oceanic sciences major not only understands the weather, but can adapt to it. While he would comment on the weather in Chapel Hill for this weekend's game against the Tarheels, he wouldn't be so brash as to mention three more touchdowns in his forecast. That figures, though, since he doesn't really want all that much attention, remember? It's just that, lately, his play has drawn it-and rightfully so.