Badgers in the NFL: Part One

This week begins a three-part series chronicling Wisconsin's recent success in sending its departing players to \The League."" Undoubtably one of the strongest positions during the Alvarez era has been the offensive line, which has skillfully protected Badgers quarterbacks and paved the way for Wisconsin's reputation as ""Running Back U."" However, for all the success Badger offensive linemen have had in the NFL, its two most decorated players, All-Americans Aaron Gibson and Chris McIntosh, were the biggest disappointments. Both were drafted in the first round in 1999 and 2000 respectively, but both proved unworthy of their lofty draft status, and are no longer with a team. Currently the Badgers have five offensive linemen playing: 

The most recent standout to emerge from Camp Randall is the Buccaneers' left guard. Buenning surprised some by grabbing a starting position prior to the start of the season. He has been a key component of Tampa Bay's running attack, spearheaded by NFL leading rusher and fellow rookie standout Cadillac Williams. 

Penciled in as the Cowboys' long-term answer at center after the 2003 draft, Johnson suffered a knee injury that ended his season before it even began. After an offseason of rehabilitation, Johnson came back strong in 2004 and claimed the starting job by the second week and his been entrenched there ever since. 

After seeing significant playing time on the Baltimore Ravens three out of his first four seasons in the league, Rabach took his talents to the Washington Redskins and earned his way into the starting lineup as the team's center. Rabach has the luxury of blocking for one of the NFL's most electric backs in Clinton Portis, making his job that much easier.  

After closing out his Badger career in style with a Rose Bowl victory over Stanford, Tauscher had to endure a long wait before finally being chosen by his home state Packers in the last round of the NFL draft. Immediately earning a backup role with the team, Tauscher was thrust into the starting lineup for the final 14 weeks after Earl Dotson went down with an injury. The baby-faced Tauscher has held onto the position ever since, with the exception of an injury plagued 2002 season, and has developed into a Pro Bowl-caliber right tackle. 

Strangely enough, after a 10-year career that has included two tours with the Redskins sandwiched around a brief stint with the San Diego Chargers, Raymer now finds himself backing up fellow Badger Casey Rabach. A veteran lineman who boasts 83 career starts and 96 appearances, Raymer spends his Sundays watching from the bench. For the Redskins, it is reassuring to know that if one Badger goes down, an equally capable Badger can step up and take his place.