Athletes sample the real world

I probably looked like Don King after a rough night. 

Without showering, and wearing clothes that resembled used dish rags, I stumbled into my summer class one June morning, sat down and looked around. 

Blearily gazing at my peers, I noticed the polos, tank tops, skirts and shorts. Then, I opened my eyes to Brett, a classmate sitting to my right. He wore a suit. A fancy suit. 

I thought two things. 

One: \I look homeless. I wonder if he thinks I'm going to ask him for money."" 

Two: ""Where is he going? Church? A banquet? Perhaps a fancy date?"" 

I asked him why he looked so damn snazzy, and he responded, ""After class, I gotta go to work."" 

Turns out, it wasn't the work I expected. Brett Bell, my classmate and Badger cornerback, was headed to his summer internship at Morgan Stanley. He is one of ""40 to 55"" football players who participated in summer jobs or internships in 2005, according to Jeremy Sinz, director of UW-Madison football operations. 

Oh, OK-the bell finally chimed in my head. Brett practiced this summer for both football and the ""real world"" because over the summer, players can condition under the supervision of strength and conditioning coaches.  

I asked my friend David, a Michigan student-and clearly a poor decision maker-for his thoughts on the game this Saturday. 

""We better win. That's all our guys did this summer. They practiced. They got in shape."" 

Maybe that's what Wolverines do, but Badgers shape up for both football and life, something that not a lot of students-or members of the community-consider when thinking about college athletes. 

Kelli Richards is the CHAMPS/Life Skills coordinator for UW-Madison (providing career advising for athletes). She said athletes from all sports can participate in summer jobs at places such as American Family Insurance, Coca-Cola and Teach For America. Sinz said construction, painting and banking jobs are also a possibility. 

Once again, let's use Mr. Bell and Badger center, Mr. Donovan Raoila, as examples. They didn't receive their internships from Mr. Morgan or Mr. Stanley. Instead, a former Badger offensive lineman, NFL player and Morgan Stanley employee, scored them positions through Sinz. 

Engler likes to pick players who have potential for the NFL and post-football. 

""Regardless of whether they go pro, they need this experience,"" Engler emphasized. 

Is this special treatment something that the 'average student' doesn't have access to? Sure. I'd love that opportunity, but at least UW-Madison offers something for some students who can use these resources for their futures. 

Now, let's rewind back to class in June. Still feeling like an ass for assuming my peer was just practicing football, I questioned what he did. 

His answer: compiling a portfolio, but mainly office stuff. 

Certainly not glamorous or interesting, but it works. 

Laura-Claire and friends want you to do something nice for yourself. ""What do you do?"" you may ask. Visit fifafock.com. Now.