5 things to watch

The thin red D-line 

Coming into this season, questions surrounded the defensive line after all four starters graduated. Then sophomore tackle Justin Ostrowski, who was arguably the unit's top player, hurt his knee and is out indefinitely. Despite the losses, there were many talented and experienced players to fill in. The unit has arguably been the defense's strongest, allowing just 236 rushing yards on 1.5 yards per carry this season and collecting 12 sacks.  

After wreaking havoc early in the game against North Carolina, sophomore end Jamal Cooper had to leave the game with an ACL injury and is likely done for the season. With Cooper gone, freshman end Matt Shaughnessy stepped up. He finished with 1.5 tackles for a loss, half a sack and almost knocked UNC quarterback Matt Baker out of the game. To help fill in for \Coop,"" junior left tackle Joe Thomas may be used on the defensive line if necessary. The unit has done a great job, despite all the injuries, and they will have to play well in order to take advantage of an injured Michigan team.  

Licking their wounds 

The Wolverines usually have an athletic, solid and deep football team that can run, pass and defend well. However, Michigan comes into Saturday's showdown banged up. The offensive line has been hit especially hard, with two lineman out for the season and four others also having missed time. Sophomore running back Mike Hart, who rushed for 1,455 yards and nine TDs last season, missed last weekend's game and his status is questionable for Saturday. Hart's backups, Max Martin and Kevin Grady, are talented, but they are inexperienced and have had trouble holding onto the football this season. Notre Dame was able to take advantage of the injuries to stop the running game and rattle sophomore quarterback Chad Henne. He responded by going 19 for 44 with an interception and a fumble.  

Brandon and Breaston 

The Badgers have done a fantastic job on special teams this season. Senior receiver/returner Brandon Williams is the catlyst. He had an 85-yard kickoff return in week one, and in week two, he had 143 return yards and a touchdown en route to being named Co-Big Ten Special Teams Player of the week. Teams have been forced to kick away from him because he is so dangerous. Sophomore punter Ken DeBauche was named to the Ray Guy Award watch list (nation's best collegiate punter) last week and he responded with a fantastic game against UNC. He averaged 46.7 yards per punt, landed four of seven punts inside the opponent's 20, and was named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week. His punting will be huge this weekend because Michigan's Steve Breaston has been a terror on special teams. He had a 72-yard punt return to give Michigan the ball at the EMU 10 on the Wolverines first possession of last week's game. If the coverage can neutralize Breaston, the Badgers can look to Williams' great play for an advantage. 

Minimize the mistakes 

Getting a win on the road should always be cause for celebration with a young team, but the Badgers made some crucial mistakes in their 14-5 victory over UNC. They shot themselves in the foot with penalties, committing eight for a total of 74 yards. Owen Daniels scored a 41-yard touchdown pass in the 3rd quarter, but it was called back due to a holding call. Also, junior running back Booker Stanley fumbled the ball inside the red zone. A fumble is always costly, but a fumble inside the red zone is a huge blow because Wisconsin should have come away with at least three points. As a backup, Stanley does not need to be spectacular. He just has to be good enough so that head coach Barry Alvarez can feel comfortable enough putting him in when Brian Calhoun needs a rest. Also, the Badgers were only 6 for 17 on 3rd downs against UNC. Overall the Badgers were solid against UNC, but they cannot make so many mistakes and expect to beat Michigan. 

Avant-guard 

Given the thin defensive line, there will be even more pressure on the Badger secondary to shut down the Wolverine passing game. Henne threw for more than 2,700 yards and 25 TDs last season. Senior wide receiver Jason Avant is out from behind Braylon Edwards' shadow and has over 300 yards receiving and three TDs through three games this year. The Badger secondary was much maligned after week one, giving up 458 yards to Bowling Green, but they have not allowed a touchdown since. If the secondary can stop Avant from having a huge day, with a little help from the Camp Randall faithful, Wisconsin will have a good shot at winning.