Track to stardom

Brian Calhoun is fast. The Badger's junior running back is fleet-footed, as he was timed running 40 meters in 4.29 seconds in spring 2004. He was also part of the Badgers' Big Ten championship 400-meter relay team last spring. 

He is clearly mentally quick. He can multitask skills, such as running and receiving, better than almost anyone, according to head coach Barry Alvarez.  

\You can be very creative with him in the game because you can line him up as a legitimate wide receiver,"" Alvarez says. ""We can create a lot of problems."" 

And, most importantly, Calhoun says he hopes to rapidly race his way to his place as one of Wisconsin's best-ever backs. 

But mostly, he is just fast: ""He's like a cheetah. He has lots of speed,"" says fellow junior tailback Booker Stanley. 

After transferring from the University of Colorado-Boulder and sitting out the 2004 season due to NCAA rules, Calhoun has accelerated his way to the top of the starting lineup. 

Though born in Atlanta, Ga., Calhoun lived in Oak Creek, Wis., from age 11 to 18. At CU, he rushed for 1,108 yards on 262 carries over a two-year period. In 2003, he led the Buffaloes in rushing with 810 yards, including 137 against Nebraska. He won the team's Outstanding Running Back award and was third among Big 12 running backs, catching 32 passes.  

Meanwhile, Wisconsin's largest catching contribution last year came from Stanley, who caught 18 balls-the first time the Badgers had a running back catch more than 10 balls this century. 

This season, Calhoun, the preseason Big Ten Newcomer of the Year, says he hopes to surpass his achievements reached at Colorado and become a dominant presence. 

""The offense wants to have a 1,000 yard rusher-something to hang on our hat,"" he says. ""Obviously, this offense is based on the running game, the running back. I definitely think I can present problems in the running game and the passing game for us. Hopefully two years down the road you can say I fit [with] the Anthony Davises ... and the Ron Daynes."" 

Now, with the departure of Davis, a 2004 graduate, a new running back will emerge. Unlike Davis and Dayne, the 1999 Heisman trophy winner, Calhoun has less time to run his way to the record books. But the running back who has been compared to University of Southern California star Reggie Bush, is not worried about the lack of time. 

""I think two years is enough for me to imprint what I can do on this program,"" he says. ""I can definitely rewrite the books."" 

Calhoun did not do much reading during his year after transferring, spending most of his time bulking up in the weight room. Venturing into college, he weighed 185 pounds. Now, three years later and working with Director of Strength and Conditioning John Dettmann, he scales in at more than 200 pounds-ready to begin his rip-roaring ride at Camp Randall. Alvarez says his added weight increases Calhoun's versatility. 

""Brian is strapped up right now. He's ripped,"" Alvarez says. ""He can do anything."" 

The ""anything"" Alvarez mentioned includes Calhoun's excellence in track and field. Running the 100-meters, 200-meters and the long jump finesses his football speed, according to Calhoun and his former Colorado track teammates. 

""His track definitely helped him with football, just practicing his speed,"" Colorado junior track member Amber Casey says. ""He also has a mean, quick, witty sense of humor."" 

The need, however, for Wisconsin to pick up its running game is no laughing matter. In 2002, the Badgers compiled a total of 2,663 rushing yards. In 2004, they amassed 1,931 total yards. Because of the slower running game over the past few years, Calhoun is fast to say he feels pressure, but that he does not think it will dash his dreams of becoming one of Wisconsin's best running backs. 

""I mean obviously there is a lot of pressure. I think there is a lot of anticipation in the state about me playing,"" he says. ""But I just kind of take is as it goes, and hopefully I can prove I'm worth it."" 

Calhoun thinks he is worth it-being able to learn plays quickly, to run both finesse and power plays and catching balls. And, if all else fails, he can always fall back on his speed. After all, his favorite track event in high school was the sprints because, according to Calhoun, ""It's just ... one on one and [you get to] see who is the fastest.\