Free time at the bars

Bar time. A time like no other, when hoards of college kids flood places like Qdoba or Taco Johns at 2 a.m. to satisfy their insatiable hunger induced by cheap beer and dollar rails. Students flock from the hills of Liz Waters and the beaches of James Madison to stuff pounds of burrito down their throats. I can attest to having a few - OK, many - nights like these. Whats the problem with consuming loads of grease-laden food during the wee hours of the morning? The big issue is money, although some may say cholesterol as well. Eating out after buying drinks all night can get pricey, especially if you make a habit of it. Which brings me to my point - free bar food. Keep that money in your wallet and take advantage of what many Madison bars have to offer. First, lets start with Wandos, 602 University Ave. For the uninitiated, every Tuesday Wandos laughs at your useless worries about carbs, for you will be washing down your beer with the oil from your bacon. Not too crispy, but not too rubbery, this bacon goes great with any drink. Just make sure you dont drink too much, or youll be paying for that bacon in another way. Wandos also just recently started \Chips and Dip Night,\ which happens every Wednesday. This might be a more viable option for satisfying late night cravings because it isnt as salty as bacon so you wont feel the need to buy more beers to quench your thirst. Maybe that isnt necessarily a bad thing though. Both State Street Brats, 603 State St., and the Essen Haus, 514 E. Wilson St., offer all-you-can-eat popcorn where every bite is packed with buttery goodness. It is made in a movie theater-style popcorn maker and you just scoop out as much as you want. If you get a little thirsty, the boot has got you covered with enough beer to satisfy anyones thirst. Then theres The Pub, 552 State St., Madisons best-kept secret when it comes to free food. Dont be fooled by its unassuming appearance. Although its not one of the most popular bars on State Street, The Pub knows whats up when bar time rolls around. Inside, you can find a huge popcorn maker loaded with buttery popcorn, Fritos, Doritos, Cheetos Puffs and supersized cheese balls. It is an inebriated food lovers dream. So, the next time youre out, skip the quick trip to Qdoba and get some of these tasty treats. Im not saying nix the 1.5-pound burrito altogether because that just isnt realistic. However, take advantage of what Madisons bars have to offer. Not only do they have your basic food groups covered, but its free! Kat is a senior and can be reached at krpeterson@wisc.edu.