Dane County Judge issues permanent injunction against collective bargaining legislation

brb: Protesters stormed the state Capitol after the state Legislature approved limits on collective bargaining March 9. Dane County Judge Maryann Sumi ruled that bill void Thursday.

What now for NFL Badgers?

A couple of surprises, reunions of teammates and sighs of relief made for an interesting yet successful weekend for former Badgers over draft weekend. Seven players were drafted out of Wisconsin, and three more were snatched up by professional clubs immediately following the selection process. The seven tied Wisconsin with Virginia for third-most in this draft, right behind Oklahoma (11) and Florida State (nine). The number was also the second most in UW history, tied with the 2001 Badger draft class highlighted by corner back Jamar Fletcher, right behind 1995's eight drafted players.  

It was no surprise that the 2004 Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, defensive end Erasmus James, was the first Badger selected by the Minnesota Vikings with the 18th pick of the draft. What was a surprise to many, though, was the third-round selection of cornerback Scott Starks by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Starks' tenacity and speed cannot be denied, but many experts thought that his size at the defensive back position, standing at 5'8.5\ and weighing only 172 lbs., would force teams to stay away from him. Starks, who will forever be remembered by Badger fans for his 40-yard return of Purdue quarterback Kyle Orton, understands that his size will always be an issue, but has faith in the ability that got him to the level he is at. 

""It's always going to be said right until the day I'm done playing. I've always been too small, I'm too short, too this,"" Starks said. ""I've got more confidence and more heart than a lot of people I know."" 

The 2005 NFL draft also saw many sets of reuniting teammates. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers snatched up powerful guard Dan Buenning from the offensive line in the fourth round. The Buccaneers also saw good prospects in guard Jonathan Clinkscale, who went undrafted over the weekend most likely due to his positive marijuana test at the combine. Clinkscale admits his transgressions and realizes he paid the price, but hopes to move on and have success at the professional level. 

""Everything worked out, so I'm happy,"" Clinkscale said.  

Badger fan-favorite safety Jimmy Leonhard also went undrafted, but was quickly grabbed by the Buffalo Bills, home to Wisconsin wide receiver Lee Evans. After the draft, the former walk-on received phone calls from teams pleading for his services. Leonhard, who expects to get a shot at safety with the AFC East club, as well as the special teams unit, is thrilled to be back with former teammate Evans. 

""I have to give him a call today and see if he has any words of advice for me."" 

The drafting of Anthony Davis in the seventh round by the Indianapolis Colts, assured the oft-injured running back that he would reunite with his former quarter back Jim Sorgi, as well as defensive end Jonathan Welsh, who was drafted in the fifth round. Welsh, although confident admits he became anxious as the draft rolled on. 

""It got really nerve-racking later last night,"" Welsh said. ""Basically the fourth round, the fifth round it got really nerve-racking because I knew something was coming."" 

Most surprising in the draft had to be the freefall which defensive tackle Anttaj Hawthorne took. Hawthorne, who at one point during the season was projected on some boards to go in the top 10, was scooped up by the Oakland Raiders with the first pick in the sixth round. The high-motored defensive force for the Badgers also tested positive for marijuana at the combine, forcing him to drop off many teams' radars. Former teammate Welsh has faith in Hawthorne to live up to his potential. 

""This time out he'll have to prove he was worth more than what he was drafted at. But on the other hand, the draft is just the draft, he could be a Tom Brady guy; things happen for a reason,"" Welsh said. 

Also drafted in the sixth round was fellow defensive tackle Jason Jefferson, who expected to go higher, but was content with the selection. Long snapper Matt Katula was also signed following the draft by the Baltimore Ravens. 

Head coach Barry Alvarez has seen the most important group of Badgers leave his team since Fletcher, running back Michael Bennett, and wide receiver Chris Chambers. The question now becomes: Where does Alvarez go from here?