UW Theatre continues modern adaptations with ‘Helen’

Anne Guadagnino portrays Helen in the University Theatre’s modern production of ‘Helen.' Courtesy of University Theatre.

UW students to pay full adult fee at pool

UW-Madison students will receive no discount and can expect to pay the same price as other Madison residents for admission to the upcoming 8-lane Goodman Swimming Pool in Franklin Park. 

The Facilities, Programs, and Fees Committee of the Parks Commission met Monday night to set specifications on the admissions categories for the pool. 

\The fees committee determines programs and sets fees,"" said Susan Hamblin, who serves as chair. Fee specifications included residential status and age. 

At the last committee meeting, Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, requested more simplicity in the definition of ""resident."" As an alternative, Hamblin requested a change of the definition to include not only residents of Madison, but residents living in the Madison School District. 

""I think this change is a good idea. More and more students will benefit from this,"" remarked Skidmore. 

Limits were also set to define the four age brackets for ticket prices: tot, youth, adult and senior. 

As 12 percent of the golf rounds in Madison are played by seniors 62 and older, Superintendent of the Parks Committee Jim Morgan had reason to believe many seniors would be visiting the pool as well. Therefore, the committee finally defined a senior as ages 62 and older. 

Once the pool is built, it will provide an extra place of employment to college students. They will be hiring a lot of lifeguards and safety instructors, said Morgan. So far, the city beaches have been willing to accommodate students' summer school schedules.  

The committee has yet to attach a price tag to these classifications, but they are expecting approximately $340,000 in costs to the city. $20,000 is estimated to be covered by concessions in the park. According to Hamblin, the new question facing the committee is ""How do we make up the other $320,000?"" This question will be answered at their next meeting on April 18 at 5 p.m.