UW-Madison's religious studies program not just preparation for preachers

The title  eligious studies"" usually conjures images of churches and traditional worship. However, the religious studies program at UW-Madison examines the role of religion in every context except the stereotypical perspective. The program has become quite an attractive major for students, both religious and not, at UW-Madison, according to professor and undergraduate advisor Ronald Troxel. 

Paradoxically, many students who themselves are not at all religious attend classes to discover why so many people are, said Program Director Charles Hallisey. 

Troxel emphasized the focus of the program is to reach beyond assumptions people commonly hold about religion.  

""The purpose of a religious studies major is to understand the place of religion in human life. It is no different than studying literature of politics in human life,"" Hallisey said.  

The major is a good supplement to other Letters & Science majors like psychology and political science because it offers a different vantage point on cultures and gives insight to why people act certain ways. 

With issues such as the Terri Shiavo case so prominent in the news, Hallisey noted, ""The major gives a combination of empathy and critical stance that is valuable in today's global community."" 

""Students see in order to really understand what is happening here, they need to take into account how people view religion,"" Hallisey added.  

""Religion can't be compartmentalized into something done a few days a week, but plays a part in people's decision-making,"" Troxel said. ""These current issues raise that religion is something much more pervasive."" 

He attributed the department's substantial growth since its debut three years ago to such factors. The program now boasts 75 majors and 45 students with certificates. 

Students are commonly drawn into the major with one or two classes that particularly resonate with them, and relatively few students graduate with the intent of pursuing religion professionally. But it is a growing phenomenon, Troxel said. 

UW-Madison senior John Boss said the major offers a fluid element for students not necessarily available in other programs.  

""You are getting an awesome variety from the department,"" he said.  

The diversity of the professors gives students the chance to explore the many ways religion influences other aspects of life. 

""I just realize how interesting it is to not just understand these topics religiously, but also historically and socially and to see how much religion plays a part in [the] everyday common person,"" UW-Madison junior Troy Maragos said. 

According to UW-Madison senior Justin Hall, the major allows students to study religion academically, as they have never been given a chance in public school. 

""You don't come across this stuff everyday in Wisconsin, but there is a huge part of the world that sees the world totally different than I do,"" he said.  

Hall, who plans on entering Catholic Seminary, said he felt the classes were beneficial for him because the program challenged him in understanding others' perspectives. 

""Many students say a benefit [of the major] is having an opportunity while at the university to study something that has an impact on me as a person that I will carry with me the rest of my life,"" Hallisey said.