Student charity to benefit burn victims

The Strings of Hope Foundation is kicking off its fund-raiser this month taking donations to string tennis, squash and racquetball rackets for pediatric burn care. 

UW-Madison juniors Johnny Costello and Scott Klettke founded Strings of Hope as a way to combine their passions for tennis and helping children. The two have volunteered at the UW Hospital since their freshman year-Klettke in family practice and Costello directly in the burn unit. 

\Children in the Burn ICU can't have the same activity level as other patients,"" Costello said. ""They get excellent care at the UW Hosptial ... but we wanted an additional outlet for the director of the burn unit to give patients activities."" 

From now until April 25, Strings of Hope will collect rackets for a $20 donation at four locations around campus: 420 W. Gorham, at the Nielsen Tennis Stadium and the Southeast and Lakeshore dorms. Donors can pick up their rackets at the same drop-off points on April 30.  

Klettke said burns are particularly disturbing for patients because they are typically healthy before an accident. 

""The children coming in are fine the day before, playing with friends, and nothing's wrong. They're perfectly healthy,"" he said. ""Then suddenly there's a fire or an accident, and they're some of the most sick and critical care patients in the hospital."" 

Crystal Taylor, clinical nurse manager at the UW Hospital Burn Center, said the donations will be used for educating patients and their families, buying toys and books and helping patients' families deal with the lengthy hospital stay. 

The UW Hospital Burn Center serves the entire region, so patients throughout the state come to Madison for treatment, and 30 to 35 percent of the burn patients are pediatrics. Taylor said educating patients is a large part of successful care. 

""A lot of it is helping them understand what they're going to go through,"" she said. ""[Patients] can feel pretty isolated and don't understand what is happening to them. ... There's somewhat of a grieving process, especially if the burn is on the face."" 

Klettke said donations are especially needed because of the lack of focus on burn injuries. 

""Burns are a very horrible thing, but the difference between [burns] and pediatric cancer are funds,"" Klettke said. ""They are very needed for cancer as well, but there are a lot of funds already, and there's nothing for pediatric burn care."" 

The Strings of Hope Foundation also accepts tax-deductible monetary donations. More information about the fund-raiser and burn injuries can be found at www.stringsofhope.org.