Striking 'Gold' at Marigold

It is my third year at UW and up until a few days ago, I thought I was aware of every restaurant located on campus and around the downtown area. I was wrong. Marigold Kitchen, 118 S. Pickney St., has managed to miraculously escape my restaurant radar.  

When I stumbled upon it, I wondered how I could not have noticed this quaint little place just off Capitol Square. Maybe it is one of Madison's best-kept secrets, because their food was quite exceptional. 

Saturday, they offer a brunch selection featuring a combination of their breakfast and lunch items, along with a few seasonal entrees. I perused the menu and noticed everything was reasonably priced, with breakfast ranging from $3.95-$6.95 and lunch anywhere between $7.25 and $9.95. Everything sounded extremely tasty, from the French toast made with challah bread drizzled with pastry cream, seasonal berries and maple syrup to the Seared Salmon BLT, which featured a fresh salmon fillet with applewood smoked bacon, romaine lettuce, tomato and aioli on toasted wheat bread. They also offered treats such as muffins and cookies. 

I finally decided to try the grilled chicken breast sandwich topped with grilled red peppers, caramelized onions, romaine lettuce and vegetable cream cheese served on toasted ciabatta, served with a side of cabbage salad. 

My friend ordered the daily scrambler, which included organic scrambled eggs mixed with fresh tomatoes, scallions, green peppers, bits of bacon and cream cheese. It also came with a side of toast (French rosemary, sourdough or wheat) and Marigold potatoes, which are scalloped potatoes sprinkled with a semi-spicy seasoning.  

My first bite into the chicken sandwich was heavenly. Its appetizing and colorful appearance was not deceiving by any means. The chicken was tender and not too dry and there was a heaping pile of vegetables oozing out the sides of the sandwich with every bite I took. I had never tried cabbage salad before so I was intrigued by its sweet flavor. It was dressed in vinegar and had a hint of a nutty flavor. It was like coleslaw with a twist.  

The scrambler tasted just as good, if not better. The scrambled eggs were incredibly flavorful while the Marigold potatoes were exquisite as well. They were fried but not greasy and the seasoning was like no other. The ciabatta bread was unbelievably fresh and, when combined with butter, was a real delight.  

We both ordered freshly-squeezed orange juice which tasted both tangy and sweet, and was a real treat. 

The general atmosphere of the restaurant was stimulating and upbeat, with red, green, and yellow walls adorned in colorful contemporary art. Funk music filled the busy restaurant in which every seat was filled. I did feel a little cramped but I guess that is a small price to pay for such great food, friendly service, an inviting atmosphere and moderate prices.  

Marigold Kitchen is open from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. on weekdays and 7 a.m.-2 p.m. on Saturdays. 

Kat is a junior majoring in psychology. E-mail her at krpeterson@wisc.edu.