Recent cases demonstrate appearances can be deceiving

Sexual harassment, enticement and exposure have been documented for a number of years with one chilling story after another. Many times, however, the perpetrators of such behavior have flaunted a criminal background or social perception which made their actions more expected of them. The latest examples of such behavior have instead been acted out by men who have previously been described as role models and community leaders, making the acts less predictable and perhaps more horrifying. 

On Tuesday, a Kenosha man exposed himself to his three young children and forced them to expose themselves as well. This man's disturbing conduct and eventual threat to his children's lives eventually led to his own death when he was shot down by police. This man's position of role model was that of a father, someone we all commonly look up to.  

Because these children undoubtedly possessed love for their father, they will grow up remembering the incident and possibly believing that the behavior is condonable. While the death of their father is something that will haunt the children for a lifetime, I support the quick action of the officers and believe the tragedy could only have been prevented through a more father-like role of the man himself. 

A second incident took place when a longtime Boy Scout official was caught for possession and distribution of pornography. This 69-year-old man had been employed through the Boy Scouts for 39 years and had never before showed indication of a criminal past. The man's job description did not involve him working directly with any of the scouts themselves. 

Perhaps the case most of us are familiar with involved a professor from our very own university. A comparative literature professor was recently charged with enticement after involvement with child sex crimes. His arrest occurred after being caught by an Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force member, but it has not yet been determined how many other episodes of enticement have taken place.  

The arrest has undeniably caused a level of embarrassment for the university and is causing an unneeded absence six weeks before his courses were set to end for the semester. A member of the faculty since 1974, he was not previously believed to have been capable of such a heinous crime. 

The most difficult aspects of these cases are not simply the crime being committed, but the man behind the crime. A father, beloved Boy Scout official and top university professor are not characteristically sought out for criminal behavior, and have left many questioning just who can be trusted. These men will not only be missed by their families and occupations which put them in such high regard, but by those who were even slightly touched by their lives and of whom would have never suspected such an outcome of events. Some feel sorry for the men, believing one incident has ruined a life of respected achievement, but how can we be sure that the indecent behavior stopped here?  

It is also hard to believe that the Boy Scout official and professor were both put on paid leave, considering the level of discomfort their presence might have if they were to return to work and the classroom. Both have at least been caught in one incident of misconduct and are guilty of their crime, so why are the employers so eager to keep them as employees?  

After the details of the professor's case are completed, there are plans to decide if he has \violated any university policies,"" but it is assured that he has already violated the trust and admiration of his students. For the next six weeks, TAs and faculty members will attempt to continue his curriculum where he abruptly left off, as if students aren't already stressed enough. 

These cases will hopefully stop occurring, but have proven that appearances may be deceiving. Those with positions of authority may believe they will never be caught for their wrongs, but the actions of these three men are swiftly being punished and measures are being taken to prevent such crime in the future. Even in the instance that these men assume roles in society again, it can be assured that their respected status will have been long forgotten. 

opinion@dailycardinal.com.