Public offers input on campus green spaces

The Campus Natural Areas Committee held an open input session Tuesday to solicit public opinion on the group's struggle to maintain and protect campus natural areas in its master plan. 

\Every 10 years we try to take a step back ... and talk to the community about what they want to see the campus be in the next ten years,"" said Gary Brown, director of planning and landscape architecture. 

Brown said the Master Plan for the entire campus incorporates natural areas, such as Lakeshore Path and Picnic Point, into the overall appeal of the campus. 

During the informational session, Anne Burgess, retired head of Biocore, challenged those in attendance to answer three questions.  

The first question asked the public to define why campus natural areas were of value to them. 

""I value the feeling of being away even when you're deep within the city,"" said Kathi Dweele, board member of Friends for Campus Natural Areas. 

The coexistence of city and landscape is an important issue, according to CNAC chair William Cronon. 

Members also discussed the importance of keeping historic campus natural areas intact. 

""As a historian, the historical value of these areas give this campus continuity,"" attendee Tom Brock said. ""Looking at pictures from now and then, you can see the common natural features."" 

During the second phase of the meeting, members of the discussion answered Burgess' second question regarding their greatest concerns, which will be addressed through the Master Plan. 

CNAC member Maury Cotter said the concerns fit into eight categories ranging from protection to the acquisition of monetary resources. 

""Permanent protection can be attained by making a 'thou shalt not touch this land' statement, but the important factor is a group of vigilant people,"" Cronon said. 

During the third phase of the meeting, participants were asked to share ideas about how to allocate funding for the project.  

""The importance of the Master Plan is that it will declare these areas to be of great importance to the campus,"" Cronon said. 

From this point, he said, CNAC plans to compile the input from the meeting, along with that of the UW-Madison community to submit their addition to UW-Madison's Master Plan. 

""Over the summer, we'll be developing concept plans, so I would expect in the fall that we would have some drafts,"" Brown said.