Mifflin officially set for April 30

The Mifflin Street Block Party is officially slated for April 30 following a closed meeting Thursday morning among Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, the Madison Police Department and Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.  

\The students' voice was heard loud and clear in City Hall today and I'm thrilled that the student will prevailed,"" Verveer said. ""But the taxpayers were winners as well because if we would have continued with this charade, saying the party is on the 7th when we knew full well most people were going to party on the 30th, all we were doing was causing two parties and costing the taxpayers money."" 

Verveer added he hopes students will return the favor by not partying on the 7th. 

""The bottom line is we're going to emphasize April 30 for a date for Mifflin,"" said George Twigg, the mayor's spokesperson.  

Despite the date change, the MPD said they will be ""enforcing the basic city ordinances."" 

Carrie Hemming, police officer for the Central Community Policing Team, has been walking Mifflin Street and informing students on the rules and regulations of the block party.  

""The police department is still not allowing live music or amplified music, just like we wouldn't on any other day,"" she said. 

Hemming added residents can have a band play inside their house if it is quiet enough only for guests, but outdoor bands will not be tolerated and tickets will be issued ""if music can be heard and is considered to be unreasonable.""  

Additionally, Hemming said no party will happen May 7, and police will strictly enforce drinking laws April 30. 

""If you have open alcohol on the public street, sidewalk or terrace, you can be written. If you are under 21, you can be written. If you procure alcohol to people who are under 21, you can be written. So is it true down here that there are so many people drinking alcohol, can we stop them all? No, probably not. But you are risking getting a ticket. It will be high enforcement,"" she said.  

However, Verveer stated at Thursday morning's meeting, Madison Police Chief Noble Wray said the MPD enforcement strategy April 30 will be identical to strategies from previous years-and this includes outdoor music.  

""Bands will be allowed to perform,"" Verveer said. 

Mifflin Street Resident Sarah Walters said police told her Wednesday they would allow bands outside on whichever day was decided.  

""Bands give people something to do,"" Walters said. ""Otherwise, what do we do, just stand around and drink beer all day? The police are only going cause more problems for themselves if they don't allow bands because people are going get bored and do something stupid.""  

Despite UW-Madison officials' original stance of supporting May 7, Chancellor John Wiley said he is ""hopeful that this solution will allow for one celebration that is both safe and fun for students and not overly burdensome on city and university services."" 

Kelly Egan, chair of Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Committee, said it only made sense for the city to switch party dates and not have to worry about controlling two parties on different weekends. 

According to cost estimates Cieslewicz gave to The Daily Cardinal, the city will save approximately $40,000 by moving the party to April 30 if no parties erupt on May 7. 

A pre-block-party meeting will be held Tuesday, April 26 at the Senior Center, 330 W. Mifflin St. at 7 p.m. to address expectations and ground rules for the April 30 celebration.