For students in college, no set path for religious beliefs

When students get to college, some continue to attend church, some become non-religious, and others find a new faith altogether. Ultimately, the experiences students have in college affect their faith for the rest of their lives.  

\It wasn't really until I got to college that I was thinking about more spiritual things,"" UW-Madison senior Sarah Stumpf said. Stumpf was raised Catholic but chose to become pagan during her sophomore year at UW-Madison. 

One reason it is so easy to find and follow a religion on campus is because of the liberal atmosphere, Stumpf said. 

According to Colleen Moore, professor of psychology and religious studies, social science research shows Wisconsin is a very religious state, a marked contrast to the atmosphere on campus. 

However, the campus' open-minded attitude gives students time for significant intellectual and personal growth, including spiritually, Moore said. 

""Finding spirituality is a journey and during college there is more emphasis on the journey than any other time in life,"" said Matt Metzger, pastor for college ministries at Blackhawk Church, 110 Whitney Way. 

Pastor Greg Fairow of Calvary Lutheran Chapel, 701 State St., said there is some permanent departure from faith and change to different religions among students, but he says most prefer to question the faith with which they had been raised. It is not unusual for students to return to the religion they were originally taught, he said. 

""It is likely your faith will be stronger as a result of questioning it ... because you took the time to investigate it yourself,"" Fairow said. 

Students also find that the goals of religious groups on campus are much different than churches in their hometowns. 

Campus ministries are student-run, therefore they emphasize growth and living with spirituality rather than following religion strictly, UW-Madison sophomore Kelly Knoespel said, who is an active member of Campus Crusade for Christ. Groups on campus serve as communities for individuals who desire to learn more about faith. 

""[Organizations] are there to help you take a step toward or back from God and feel confident about your choice,"" Knoespel said. 

Although most students question religion, many active in churches in high school do not continue to practice on their own in college. 

Both Fairow and Moore agreed that when parents were responsible for motivating kids to attend church, those students are less likely to continue attending in college. For some students, going to church is simply a matter of getting out of bed before noon, they added. 

In addition, Metzger said when students first arrive on campus, many get their first taste of freedom and experiment with the prevalent party scene. 

""Students can feel overwhelmed by all the different aspects of religion and spirituality, and with no curfew and no family, many want to have fun first,"" Metzger said. 

According to Metzger, students who grew up in religious families have more difficulties with the party atmosphere than those who were raised non-religiously.  

Without family around, students are also more likely to experiment with different religions. Stumpf noted that compared to campus, in her hometown there was simply a ""lack of options"" available. 

However, Moore said it is not uncommon for families of students to not be very supportive of less-common religions, often considering them ""just a college phase."" This can be troublesome for students who consider family opinions important. 

""In a college setting, people are developing independence but still have to have attachments ... to go home and be accepted,"" Moore said. 

The variety of religions present at UW-Madison encourages students to objectively choose a faith, and as a result they are more likely to maintain it. 

""Had I not come here I would not have [become pagan],"" Stumpf said. ""I'm really thankful for the openness here ... for the simple fact that I can find someone to talk to."" 

Today: College's effect on personal spirituality 

Tuesday: Student religious groups 

Wednesday: Minority religious groups 

Thursday: Religious Studies profile 

Friday: UW-Madison spirituality compared to peer schools 

For more on campus evangelists, see the Features section.