Flames go yard, scorch UW

The Wisconsin softball team lived off the home run early this season, but Wednesday night it died by the long ball. 

The University of Illinois-Chicago blasted three solo home runs as the Flames (3-0 Horizon League, 26-16 overall) edged out the Badgers 5-4 at Flames Field in Chicago.  

The Badgers got the offense rolling in the top of the second inning, when sophomore centerfielder Samantha Polito's single with the bases loaded drove in freshman third baseman Joey Daniels, giving the Badgers an early 1-0 lead. But the Flames quickly answered. 

Flames senior leftfielder Cameron Astiazaran-entering the game with a .478 batting average-singled down the first base line with the bases loaded, plating sophomore catcher Liz Jacoby and junior designated hitter Michelle Miller, putting UIC up 2-1. 

The Badgers exploded for three runs in the top of the fourth as freshman first baseman Katie Hnatyk blasted a three-run shot??-her second of the year-off UIC senior pitcher Mercedes Lovato, to put the Badgers up 4-2. That home run set a new UW single-season team record of 24, just 25 games into the season. 

But the Flames came roaring back in the bottom of the fifth to tie the game. Astiazaran started off the inning with a solo shot to right center, knocking UW sophomore starting pitcher Eden Brock out of the game. Senior pitcher Katie Layne entered for UW, but gave up a solo home run to UIC senior third baseman Sara Hernandez to tie the game at four. 

Wisconsin made a serious push in the top of the sixth to reclaim the lead, as Hnatyk and senior shortstop Kristin Zacher started with back-to-back singles to center and senior catcher Boo Gillette walked to load the bases with no outs. But freshman designated hitter Ricci Robben grounded into a double play and Daniels grounded out to third to end the inning.  

The offense did not sputter for the Flames. Jacoby homered to left center off Layne to put UIC up, 5-4. The Badgers, perhaps drained from their sixth inning run, could not mount a comeback as Flames junior pitcher Brittany McIntyre set the Badgers down in three straight. 

Layne earned the loss, dropping to 2-4 on the year as McIntyre improved to 11-8. The Badgers tied a season high with 12 hits, but left 11 baserunners stranded. Wisconsin returns home to face Michigan Friday and Saturday.