Beer-tax proposal brews controversy

Drinking beer and paying taxes are two things Wisconsinites do in high quantities. So it should come as little surprise that a proposal to increase taxes on beer has tapped strong feelings over the best way to fund alcohol abuse treatment programs in the state. 

The Daily Cardinal reported Friday that Rep. Therese Berceau, D-Madison, had proposed an increase on beer taxes that amounts to about two cents per six-pack of beer, or $1 per barrel. Berceau explained her reasoning Tuesday. 

\We haven't done anything on beer since 1969, and we do need money for treatment programs,"" Berceau said. ""It seems two cents a six-pack is not too much to ask to direct toward alcohol treatment programs."" 

But why just beer as opposed to other alcohols? 

""Other forms of alcohol we have had tax increases on, and beer really is the bigger issue in terms of alcohol abuse,"" Berceau said. 

However, this is not necessarily true, said UW-Madison psychiatry Professor Dean Krahn. 

""Most people who are severely alcohol dependent move on to harder liquors with higher percent alcohol content,"" said Krahn, who is the director of mental health services at the UW Veterans Administration Medical Center. ""Like with most drugs, when you get more addicted you want to get your blood level up as quick as possible, and liquor is quicker than beer."" 

However, when it comes to students and alcohol addiction, beer has a strong hold. 

""From a college perspective, beer is definitely the beverage choice,"" said Susan Crowley, director of prevention services at University Health Services. 

For UW-Madison students who may be struggling with alcohol abuse problems, the proposal may have minimal effect. Berceau said the state gives funding, distributed at the county level, for a variety of treatment programs. UW-Madison spokesperson John Lucas said he does not think much of that money would find its way to the university's treatment programs. Crowley echoed this sentiment, but held out hope it could benefit college students in need. 

""Hopefully the intent is that the increase tax would have some impact on [treatment programs for] those age groups at the highest risk, which includes college students,"" Crowley said. 

In the meantime, UW-Madison will still have to combat problems with alcohol abuse. 

""The biggest contributing factor to people who may not stay at the university is alcohol,"" Lucas said. 

""The average student now on the university campus is coming from a household with an income of $90,000,"" Berceau said. ""It's two cents. I'm sorry, if someone is going to call this a hardship, I'm just not going to buy it."" 

But for her opponents, Berceau's proposal, however well meaning, is a hardship when added to all of the other taxes Wisconsin residents pay. 

""There are always good intentions behind [tax increases], but good intentions have led us to be in the top 10 in taxes,"" said Bob Delaponte, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker John Gard, R-Peshtigo. ""It's not going to be real popular when you ask real people in Wisconsin.""  

Delaponte pointed out some of Berceau's fellow Democrats do not support this plan, citing a statement against the beer tax released by Assembly Minority Leader Jim Kreuser, D-Kenosha. 

Berceau vowed to continue her fight. 

""In Wisconsin there are alcohol abuse problems,"" she said. ""But there are very few legislators who have the backbone to touch beer in Wisconsin."" 

But it seems too many lawmakers may share Delaponte's criticisms. 

""I could be convinced that by raising taxes on alcohol we would get rid of alcoholism... but we know that's not true,"" he said.