The top 15 things to do after a breakup

Erin Kay Van Pay

Beanie Sigel's 'The B.Coming' rushed, but compelling

Before his incarceration last November on a Federal gun charge, Beanie Sigel rushed to finish his third album. Long anticipated following 2001's The Reason, The B.Coming reflects its rushed compilation. The bleak subject matter of Beanie Sigel reigns throughout (the album's working title was The Great Depression)-this is a serious album that not only deserves a deep listen, it demands it. 

B.Coming sets the tone early with opener \Feel it in the Air."" It's a somber track-Sigel's mellow verses of solitary paranoia (""I'm still circling' the block before I'm parkin' / not bitchin', I'm just cautious"") are complemented by brassy horns in the background and Melissa Jay's high-pitched chorus.  

There's also the Neptunes-produced ""Don't Stop,"" featuring Snoop Dogg. On an album packed with guests, Snoop is largely relegated to the chorus. B.Coming is about Sigel and his emotional turmoil facing prison, and, unlike some of the other guests, Snoop makes his contribution without getting in the way. While Sigel spits egocentric verses on street hustling, Snoop's light bridge simply calls ""Now let's toast to the man that when he get out / that he gon' do them thangs that he rap about."" 

""Bread and Butter"" injects some relationship cynicism amongst the gangster surroundings. Spitting ""me, so blinded ain't see the Robin Givens in you / huh, shoulda seen the Ginger in you,"" Sigel bitterly tears into gold-digging women over the soulful Just Blaze beat. The electric, rhythmic bridge rings out in the midst of the track before the third verse, and Blaze's beat makes it nearly impossible to listen without bobbing your head. 

Other eagerly anticipated guest spots include album-closing tracks ""It's On"" (featuring Jay-Z) and ""Wanted"" (featuring Cam'ron). Jay-Z's appearance is nothing to write home about, although the two long-time friends definitely have chemistry. ""Wanted,"" a banging track that samples Bon Jovi, closes the album out on a high note.  

Early album tracks ""One Shot Deal"" and ""Gotta Have It,"" while incredibly enjoyable (the rapid-fire delivery of Twista is irresistibly catchy), don't mesh well with the rest of the album. While each track on B.Coming is packed with thoughtful material centering on the tumultuous life of Beanie Sigel, the production is anything but cohesive. One cannot help but imagine that given more time, Sigel could have more carefully crafted the album as a whole into a depressing, serious street-thug journal. As is, B.Coming does a fair job of fulfilling that role.