A night in the life: A UW Police officer details tactics for patrolling campus, ensuring safety

Many students seeking to avoid contact with UW-Madison police officers may only worry about hiding open intoxicants and loud music. 

However, UW-Madison police look for much more than this on a typical shift. 

UW Police Officer Coreen Puetz starts her patrol at 10 p.m., when most students are busy doing homework or spending time with friends. 

Officer Puetz is a liaison for several Lakeshore dormitories. Last Thursday, she did a routine walk-through of Slichter Hall. 

\Usually, at the beginning of the year, we crack down hard on the dorms, because we want to make it clear that drinking won't be tolerated,"" Puetz said, as she popped her head in open doors to wave hello to Slichter residents. 

Puetz said that, as a liaison, she wants students to know their limits, but she also wants to make sure she remains approachable. 

She had various house fellows e-mail her throughout her time as a liaison concerning problems with students who have been harassed and abused. 

Puetz said being able to help students with these kinds of problems is very rewarding. 

Walking through the dorms, Puetz paused briefly to listen outside rooms playing particularly loud music. 

""If your door is open and I can see alcohol, you're going to get a ticket. If there's loud music coming from your room and I can hear you playing quarters, you're going to get a ticket. If I can smell alcohol coming from your room, you're probably going to get a ticket,"" she said. 

Puetz said pungent air fresheners can also raise suspicion about dorm-room activity. 

Puetz patroled various parts of campus for the remainder of her shift??-everywhere from Picnic Point to the Arboretum. 

She said her job gives her the liberty to focus on specific things each night. 

Thursday, Puetz focused on traffic. She said she concentrates on people who run red lights.  

As Puetz patrolled the campus area looking for traffic violators, she spoke about other issues she commonly sees as a campus police officer. 

She said on a weekend night when students are walking home from parties and bars, she will typically only approach the individuals who are acting obnoxiously. 

""I won't contact them unless they make me,"" she said. ""If you're being responsible, no one will bother you. But if you're acting to get attention, I'll give you attention.""  

Puetz also said she tries to walk through the Union once a night. 

She also stops by the LGBT, SAFEwalk and women's centers at least once a week. 

Puetz returned to the UW Police station around 1 a.m. to file reports before ending her shift.  

As the night came to a close, she said working in the UW-Madison community is a gratifying experience that she looks forward to every day.