Women's hockey headed to program's first NCAA tourney

For the first time in team history the No. 3 UW women's hockey team (20-7-1 Western Collegiate Hockey Association, 28-8-1 overall) will be playing in the NCAA Tournament.  

The team gathered in the Kohl Center Sunday to learn they will be heading to New Hampshire this Saturday to play Dartmouth (16-4-0 Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Hockey League, 26-6-0) in the first round of the tournament.  

\I think it's really exciting,"" senior defender and assistant captain Molly Engstrom said. ""It'll be interesting going in and playing Dartmouth because we are playing a team that we haven't seen yet.""  

Although the Badgers have not played Dartmouth in four years, they are still aware of the challenge they will face. 

""They were the first team to beat Minnesota this year, they have two very strong lines, they have some Olympic players that represented Canada,"" head coach Mark Johnson said. ""But when you get down to eight teams in the field, everybody's good and everybody's capable of beating one another.""  

Thanks to a strong finish to the regular season and an impressive showing in the WCHA tournament, the Badgers will be entering the NCAA tournament with a lot of momentum and confidence. 

""I'm pretty confident that, with the way we're playing, it doesn't matter who we're playing or where we're playing. We're going to be OK,"" senior defender Carla MacLeod said. 

While the Badgers will be bringing a lot with them to the tournament, one thing that will be left at home is a sense of satisfaction. 

""It's exciting, it's thrilling, but it's just a step,"" Johnson said. ""The big prize is out there and you can't get wrapped up with just the opportunity to play. You want to go out and win the hockey game and get an opportunity to go to the Frozen Four.""  

The Badgers will face off against Dartmouth Saturday at 6 p.m. with the winner advancing to play either Minnesota or Providence.