Transport 2020 OKs rail system study

The Transport 2020 Implementation Task Force convened Monday night to approve a request for proposals detailing the objectives for a $1-2 million engineering study of a possible rail system spreading from Middleton to East Towne Mall, 89 East Towne Mall.  

Director of Programs and Services for Wisconsin Counties Association J. Michael Blaska said the plan is necessary to solve the congested traffic and lack of parking caused by the rapidly increasing metropolitan area.  

\I think we get along fine today without commuter rail, but as we continue to grow we're not going to be able to serve the people's needs,"" said Blaska. ""We have to think of more ways to bring people through the city."" 

To receive federal funding for the project, the request for proposals, or RFP, was forced to prove the merits of the rail system's impact on the environment. The RFP also covered the possible effect of the project on the community, economy and transportation system.  

The rail system will result in dense, high-rising structures around the tracks because there is no room for larger lanes in the streets, according to Madison Transportation Planner Dave Trowbridge.  

The core plan is scheduled to cost approximately $242 million. The train may use the under-utilized rail corridors stretching from Prairie Du Chien to Sun Prarie, but other specific details will be determined in the next two years when the engineering study is scheduled to be completed. 

Skeptics such as Bob Schaefer insist the train will only block traffic.  

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz proposed a cheaper downtown streetcar system as an alternative to the commuter rail proposal.  

""This proposal does not solve the real problem, which is bringing people into the city,"" said Blaska.