Married campus couple makes it work

While popular entertainment often stereotypes college as a wild place for single students to date and experiment, some students end up finding their true loves and marry while still attending college. 

UW-Madison seniors Paul and Abbie Hampton met their freshman year and got married in August 2004. 

\Our faith is very important to both of us,"" Paul said. ""We just decided that we could best honor what we thought was God's will for us by not putting it off."" 

The Hamptons found one of the biggest hurdles after marriage was dealing with financial aid and paying for tuition. 

Sandi Cechvala, assistant director of Student Financial Services, said although students are still eligible for all state and federal aid packages after marriage, their options can change significantly.  

Most students are considered dependents on their parents' taxes, with aid decided based on their parents' income. After marriage, however, students must file as independents and their aid is based on their personal and spouse's income. 

""It doesn't always necessarily work in favor of the students,"" Cechvala said. ""Of course, if both student and spouse have low incomes it's going to be beneficial, but many times students come from families with very low incomes and they might marry a spouse who's working full-time. Then it might not work out financially for the student."" 

Paul said he and Abbie expected her parents to worry about finances for the two as married students, so they took pre-emptive measures to explain their plan. 

""With finances, we knew her parents were going to be the hardest to convince,"" Paul said. ""So we actually made Excel spreadsheets of our financial situation just to prove we could survive being married and in college... and it worked."" 

While the Hamptons said they have not used any formal counseling services, they do rely on married and seriously committed friends to help with marital issues. 

Dennis Christoffersen, clinical director at Counseling and Consultant Services at University Health Services, said there are many options available at UW-Madison for student couples. 

""I think [couples therapy] is pretty common,"" he said. ""But we don't want to make a distinction. Any significant other, live-in couple or domestic partner in a committed relationship is welcome."" 

Christoffersen said couples often enter therapy together as a last resort for their relationship. 

""We talk about 'me' versus 'we' issues,"" Christoffersen said. ""Couples therapy isn't going to make or break a couple, but it can help improve communication or conflict resolution."" 

Changes in living situations can also be stressful for couples. The Hamptons live off-campus, but said they looked into University Housing and eventually decided it was too expensive for just the two of them. 

Laura Shere, assistant director for housing for University Apartments, said there are 1,050 priority apartments-most in Eagle Heights-available for student families, with about 750 used each year, primarily by graduate students with families. 

The apartments are communities in themselves, according to Shere, with classes, child care and all-purpose rooms. 

""I sometimes say my job is mayor of a small town,"" she said. ""Through word-of-mouth we do know that folks here really do seem to like and recommend it."" 

Final words of advice from Paul and Abbie? Compromise, avoid fighting over small issues and while marriage can be both pleasant and aggravating, each day is sure to hold new surprises. 

""Don't come into college and be dead-set on finding someone you're going to marry or dead-set on staying single,"" Paul said. ""You'll meet someone when you least expect it.\