LeMahieu wrong about ads

State lawmakers are currently attempting to ban the UW from being able to offer forms of birth control to students after they have provided the service for many years. Although the issue of family planning is open to debate, it is unfortunate that this subject has again entered the spotlight. Rep. Daniel LeMahieu, R-Oostburg, who has initiated the controversial debate, most recently said he was outraged by ads placed in both student newspapers. The ads advocated students acquiring an advance on emergency contraceptives before leaving town for spring break. 

What bothers me the most is that LeMahieu has extended his original initiatives about emergency contraceptives to all birth-control methods entirely. Although members behind the new legislation stand divided, the impending risk that students might be denied the right to responsible lifestyle choices seems rather absurd. 

It is mind-blowing that these legislators, as well as some university parents, believe strongly that the university should have no business assisting students with family planning. First of all, the students who attend this university are only a matter of years away from being a part of what is commonly dubbed \the real world."" How are recent graduates considered adult enough to make a choice about birth control, but students who are equally responsible and, sometimes, equally aged, not permitted to share the same freedoms? Second, many students on campus, especially graduate students, have already begun to make marital plans or are married, putting them in reasonable positions to care about family planning. 

LeMahieu is adamant that restricting the UW's role in providing contraceptives will encourage abstinence among its students. Although his proposals will undoubtedly capture the attention of students, it won't necessarily cause them to think twice about their involvement with the opposite sex. In this case, LeMahieu's plans could deeply hurt the reputation of this university by leaving students to feel unsupported and by increasing the danger of sexual activity itself. If the UW can no longer provide for its students, who will? Even organizations like Planned Parenthood have limited locations, hours of operation, staff and supplies to serve the growing demand of customers, so why can't the UW continue its partnership in creating a safer student population? 

There is also a growing fear that implementing this new ban will lead to an increase in abortions when this is the only choice left for a woman who has found herself in a threatening situation. Although some people view birth control as abortion in itself, much of the population does not, and intends to face the truth of today's society head-on. Methods of contraception have become a reality and a necessity.  

The truth of the matter is that there will always be a clear-cut opposition to the subject of birth control. The ads intended to send the message that accidents unavoidably happen, not to collectively infer that all college students will become drunkenly promiscuous over the break. A responsible adult, considered by law to be 18 years of age, should undoubtedly be allowed the choice to care for their health in whatever means necessary.  

opinion@dailycardinal.com.