Got a spare 20?

I owe my sister 20 bucks and if Devin Harris could help me out with that, it'd be nice. It's not that I blame him for me losing money to my sister, it's just that this is sort of his fault. 

So Devin, if you somehow get this message. I could use the financial assistance. Writing for the Cardinal doesn't pay the big bucks that no doubt playing for Dallas does for you. 

But it's cool, really. When it comes down to it, it was my own fault. 

For the last two years, my sister and I made annual bets when Wisconsin and Illinois played. Football is a lost cause for her, but it is basketball season we both anticipate when winter break starts. 

Last year it was my opportunity to gloat. I called her with glee when Devin shut down Dee Brown and the Badgers walloped Illinois at the Kohl Center. Little did I know it would be the last road game the Illini would lose. And despite the miscue in Champaign, I claimed victory when Wisconsin pulled out the easy victory in the Big Ten tournament. 

Then Devin left. 

It was my first mistake to make the bet this year, not fully anticipating the pure domination of the Illini that was in store. But I swore that the Badgers could pull out a victory at the Kohl Center. Sure the Illini might crush them on their own turf, but I had faith Wisconsin would hold court at home. 

That was my second mistake. 

As I sat at Assembly Hall, a photographer leaned over and asked, \Bet you guys miss Devin Harris right about now?"" 

Of course I do. I don't have 20 bucks. 

But even with Devin, it would be hard not to pick the Illini over the Badgers to win the Big Ten. Most likely, if Harris stayed, the Badgers wouldn't be battling Indiana and trying to stave off Minnesota for third place, it would be another classic battle between Izzo's kids and the Badgers for second. 

Looking back on the seven Wisconsin losses this season, it's easy to SAY none of them would have happened if Devin still suited up No. 34. The combination of Harris, Mike Wilkinson and a healthy Alando Tucker would have been a sight to see this season at the Kohl Center and will be a bittersweet dream come Saturday as the Badgers wrap up the 2004-'05 season. Nonetheless, it's difficult to really believe the Badgers would have won all those games if Devin still played. When Travis Diener has 29 points for Marquette or Vincent Grier has 32 for the Gophers, it can be argued that not even Harris can counteract those kind of career-high games. Last season the Badgers finished 23-6, and as much as I love Tucker's game, his presence alone would not wipe out those losses. 

But in the battle in my head over the Badgers losses, one loss will always hurt the most. Most losses could be argued either way over whether the Badgers would have one in the win column instead of the loss if Devin was a Badger instead of a Maverick-most, except this one. The one that broke the home-court winning streak. That game against Illinois on Feb. 25 when the Badgers lost by 10. 

The final two-minute collapse of the Badgers as they went back and forth with the Illini missed one element that kept it from being an ESPN Classic-type game, and that's Harris. Because for all the power that Tucker gives the Badgers and for all of Wilkinson's consistency, the Badgers lacked the speed and the grace-under-pressure that Harris always exhibited. While no one can doubt that Kammron Taylor is going to be a solid point guard for the Badgers after he has more experience, at no time did Wisconsin need Devin more than in those closing minutes. 

I'll admit, it kept me up after the buzzer sounded and stats showed Taylor with seven points and Shariff Chambliss with 14. I kept putting those two stats together and adding a few more imagining that Devin played and Wisconsin pulled off the upset, the dream of Illinois being 29-1 heading into the Big Ten Tournament with the lone blemish to the perfect season coming at the hands of the Badgers. 

But it is a dream.  

Unfortunately. 

I don't begrudge Devin leaving the Badgers. I just would like some help paying off my sister. 

If you'd like to help Kate pay off her sister you can send your donations to kehedlin@wisc.edu.