CitiARTS Commission allots $75k for public pool artwork

Madison's public Goodman Swimming Pool, planned to open in Goodman Park in 2006, will now not only provide summer job opportunities for UW-Madison students but keep them aesthetically pleased as well. 

The Madison CitiARTS Commission approved a resolution Wednesday to appropriate up to $75,000 toward the installation of a public art project at the pool. 

\At this point there are no particular specifications for what type of art or where it would be at the Goodman Pool,"" Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. ""It could be everything from colored mosaic tiles on the floor of the swimming pool to murals on the bathhouses or changing rooms; to the gates to sculpture by the facility ... the possibilities are limitless."" 

The CitiARTS Commission specified that the art would not be radical, such as changing the color of the concrete. 

""This resolution is requesting that we use municipal art funds to see some art in the pool area,"" commission member Rebecca Kasemeyer said. ""We're going to work with the materials that are there."" 

The resolution is scheduled to go to the City Council at the end of March, when the council will begin accepting proposals from artists interested in taking on the project.  

If the costs for the public art exceed the $75,000 limit stipulated by the resolution, there is the potential for public fundraising, according to Verveer. 

""I wish we had more money, but we don't,"" Verveer said. 

The CitiARTS Commission meeting also covered several other upcoming public art ventures, including the current Philosopher's Grove installation of 40 wedge-shaped stones at the intersection of Mifflin and State streets. The intention is to etch designs into the stones in the near future.