Burglary charges follow alleged attempted exam theft

After allegedly breaking into Sterling Hall to steal final exam questions for his friend, UW-Madison senior Justin Peltzer received formal charges of burglary Monday, and could face up to $25,000 in fines or 12 years in prison if convicted.  

According to the criminal complaint, physics Professor Lynn Knutson was working late Thursday, Dec. 16'?- the day before the final exam for his Physics 205 class. While accessing his computer from a remote location in Sterling Hall, Knutson allegedly noticed someone was active on the computer in his office. Knutson went to his office and allegedly discovered Peltzer.  

\I'm not normally here at Thursdays at 12 o'clock,"" Knutson told The Daily Cardinal. Knutson added that he believed attempts had been made to illegally view exams possibly as many as two times before, and that encouraged him to stay late. 

After Knutson confronted Peltzer, Peltzer allegedly bolted from the office and ran from Sterling Hall to 1301 Spring St. with Knutson in close pursuit, Knutson said. 

Although the break-in compromised the security of his office, Knutson said he was sure that Peltzer did not actually see any part of the exam. He administered the 205 exam as planned on Dec. 17.  

""He didn't get anything this time,"" Knutson said. ""If there's something sensitive I make sure the screen is locked so people without a password cannot get in."" 

On March 2, Peltzer told UW Police a friend in the Physics 205 class asked him to steal the physics exam. Peltzer has refused to identify the friend, yet Knutson said once he does, he will be quick to take punitive academic measures, possibly failing the student.  

Peltzer, however, will not face academic misconduct measures from the university according to Assistant Dean of Students Suzanne Jones. 

""What he did is non-academic misconduct,"" Jones said, explaining that Peltzer, who was not enrolled in Physics 205 last semester, did not actually cheat on the exam.  

University officials will wait while the legal system continues its action against Peltzer before dealing with any university punishment. Jones said UW-Madison has yet to speak with Peltzer concerning the matter, but expulsion and suspension are options.