UW may be notified of house parties

UW-Madison Policy Alternatives Community Education discussed updated strategies for curtailing house parties at UW-Madison, including issuing notices to the university after parties get busted. 

Discussion revolved around certain \hot spots"" such as the 400 and 500 blocks of Mifflin and West Dayton notorious for their packed house parties. Officials focused on parties that result in behavior dangerous to the general environment at UW-Madison, not on individual students' drinking habits. 

""Dealing with house parties is a priority for our district,"" Madison Police Captain Mary Schauf said.  

New initiatives meant to combat problems and disturbances included issuing notices to property owners when police bust a party and forwarding any arrests to the University Student Office. 

""I think the police need to consistently enforce the laws. That message will make it clear we are serious about our expectations,"" PACE Project Investigator Aaron Brower said. ""It has to happen at all different levels-for example, making it more clear in university publications about our expectations."" 

""Every situation has a unique set of circumstances. There has to be some discretion in [the police officers'] jobs,"" Schauf said. ""The message is that we'd like to stop this high-risk drinking behavior.""  

Assistant City Attorney Jennifer Zilavy noted fines are ""only a slap on the hand"" for some students where money is not an issue or parents will just foot the bill.  

""If they thought it was something that could affect the rest of their life, they would care more,"" she said. 

However, according to Associate Dean of Students Lori Berquam, their office has a very limited scope with which to indict students when they are not on campus property. It uses the Code of Conduct 1703-1, which guards against putting other students in danger. 

""In many cases at these house parties where there is a lot of alcohol and underagers, those hosting a house party could be putting [students] in danger,"" she said. 

Notifying landlords when police had to deal with problems at their properties has also been effective, according to Captain Schauf.  

""Safety is the most important thing we do, but we can't make any decisions for them,"" said Eileen Bruskewitz, owner of Isthmus Properties. ""We can act as a support system.""  

Although landlords are already required to give tenants a disclosure about house parties when they initially move in, she advised regularly sending out attention-grabbing material to inform students of the consequences of their choices.  

""I have a positive outlook. Any one huge party where we can curb [dangerous] behavior, then we've been successful."" Schauf said. ""I'd be unrealistic if I thought [our initiatives] would stop this behavior. It's about intervening in high-risk behavior.\