Town of Blooming Grove to be annexed over next 20 yrs.

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz inked an annexation agreement between the City of Madison and the Town of Blooming Grove Friday morning in Blooming Grove.  

Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, said annexation is defined as taking land into a city. 

\Simply put,"" Webber said, ""the Town of Blooming Grove will cease to exist and become part of Madison."" 

Webber added sometimes landowners wish to annex their land to enjoy all the services a city provides, but in this case both the City of Madison and the Town of Blooming Grove both felt annexation was the best solution. 

Webber noted the difference between towns and villages, and said there is a significant difference between them. 

""A town is not a municipality, so it is unincorporated,"" Webber said. ""Villages are incorporated municipalities and so they can do things like control their zoning."" 

Webber explained this is the reason Vic Pierce Wines and Liquors, 609 N. Sherman Ave., is allowed to sell alcohol until midnight, whereas all liquor stores in the City of Madison must close by 9 p.m. 

""Vic Pierce was never annexed, so it is unincorporated,"" she said. ""It's not part of the City of Madison.""  

Ald. Paul Van Rooy, District 18, said the annexation of the Town of Blooming Grove is a long-term agreement and will occur over the next 20 years. He said the annexation will provide both parties an orderly transition of developed areas into the city. 

""The city is expanding in that direction, and as urban development occurs, the town government isn't set up to provide urban services,"" Van Rooy said. ""They don't have the capabilities to provide police and fire protection or utility services. It only makes sense Blooming Grove becomes part of the fabric of the City of Madison."" 

Nancy Fey, chair of the planning commission, said the annexation is necessary to both parties. 

""This is something that the City of Madison wanted and so did the Town of Blooming Grove,"" Fey said. 

Van Rooy agreed and is pleased the annexation is a collaborative effort between Madison and Blooming Grove. 

""The town board realizes that as time goes by, annexations will occur in little pieces here and there,"" Van Rooy said. ""Rather than letting it occur piecemeal, both sides have agreed to sit down at the table and orderly accomplish the annexation.""